Here you go! More path resident slots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoachUSMLE

Pathological pathologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1680655611621.png

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
"The CAP has long advocated for increased funding to support more GME residency spots"

You think the CAP represents you...lol. Corporations, academics. Cheap Labor!!! The "okay" job market will go back to complete crap.

Still glad you matched pathology? Back to 2+ fellowships! Should have done MBA not MD. The MBA is going to get your PC.

Reactions: 5 users
So is the outlook for path not good?

Digital pathology, AI and private equity doing what they can to decrease costs may have a negative impact on pathology. Just my opinion.

Pathologists will be able to sign out more cases with AI and cases will be accessible online to any pathologist pitting one against another for work.

I’ve talked to some path group owners who will contract out work to contractors as a 1099 employee while having some pathologists on site as a W2.

Really depends if there’s enough work to go around versus the number of pathologists willing to do the work. Some organizations have mentioned higher volume of surgpath in the future due to an aging population.

Regionally the job market is terrible in certain areas still from my own experience looking for a new job. Imagine when digital path goes mainstream, you no longer need a physical body on site making these job markets even tighter.

Reactions: 1 users
Who knows.

If you are knowledgeable, have good judgment, and can sign out cases safely and efficiently I see know reason why you wouldn’t have ample specimens to keep busy. If anything, digital path might give you more work (can help consult, sign out extra cases, etc.)

AI / digital is going to make things easier to staff those places where paths are seeing demand for their services (rural / Midwest)…the places no one wants to live.

Adding more spots when so many markets are super saturated is a head scratcher, we’ll see how it turns out.

Of course we should increase more slots, academic centers are short staffed from what I’m hearing!!!!
Holy s***! I understand some of them are being asked to sign out as many as 3500 cases a year!

Who knows.

If you are knowledgeable, have good judgment, and can sign out cases safely and efficiently I see know reason why you wouldn’t have ample specimens to keep busy. If anything, digital path might give you more work (can help consult, sign out extra cases, etc.)
Agree completely. But also put savvy social skills high on this list. You need to thrive in this jungle. It is a professionally interactive business after all. Golf with the guys and gals from surgery in the hospital spring outing. Go to the cigar bar (hate the dog rockets) with the Dean, etc. Sounds strange on a medical board but this s*** makes or breaks folks. FWIW

Agree completely. But also put savvy social skills high on this list. You need to thrive in this jungle. It is a professionally interactive business after all. Golf with the guys and gals from surgery in the hospital spring outing. Go to the cigar bar (hate the dog rockets) with the Dean, etc. Sounds strange on a medical board but this s*** makes or breaks folks. FWIW

I've never seriously golfed in my life, should I learn

Members don't see this ad :)
AI / digital is going to make things easier to staff those places where paths are seeing demand for their services (rural / Midwest)…the places no one wants to live.

Adding more spots when so many markets are super saturated is a head scratcher, we’ll see how it turns out.

Anyone with a brain should choose the midwest and rural. Makes millions, live cheap. If you like your money going into other people's pockets and being in saturated market, by all means choose urban.

Reactions: 4 users

Midwest not bad at all unless you mean rural Midwest. If you like a quiet easygoing lifestyle it’s great. Midwest people are generally nice.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone with a brain should choose the midwest and rural. Makes millions, live cheap. If you like your money going into other people's pockets and being in saturated market, by all means choose urban.
You should write a manual about how to make millions in rural/semi rural America. I’d buy it. I’d love to learn from you.

I doubt anyone out of training has the money or time to start up a company on the side but I’m sure it’s possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

But life is so short, why would you want to spend it in Iowa

Some people are “country folk” who grew up in and love that life. To each his own.

As someone who grew up in TX I completely understand that mentality but it's not brainless to not want to spend your life in that environment lol.

Wonderful. What these galaxy brains don't understand is that no matter how many residents, in any specialty, they pump through its not going to help the "shortage". From what I've seen and what I've been told by other attendings in different specialties, the current and probably future crop of residents for the foreseeable future are an overall decrement in quality.

Among the things I'm hearing:
- Residents who show up late to work/clinic because they don't feel like waking up early.
- A disturbing number of residents whose knowledge base and skill set are well beneath their expected level of training.
- Residents who report faculty to senior academic level leadership (program directors, deans, etc.) when they feel offended by constructive criticism.

If this is a sizeable fraction of our future workforce, there will still be a shortage of competent medical professionals. I certainly have no interest in hiring attendings with no work ethic and I suspect most current practice leaders wouldn't either. At best, they will be utilized as cheap, low-complexity medical cannon fodder.

Wonderful. What these galaxy brains don't understand is that no matter how many residents, in any specialty, they pump through its not going to help the "shortage". From what I've seen and what I've been told by other attendings in different specialties, the current and probably future crop of residents for the foreseeable future are an overall decrement in quality.

- Residents who show up late to work/clinic because they don't feel like waking up early.
- A disturbing number of residents whose knowledge base and skill set are well beneath their expected level of training.
- Residents who report faculty to senior academic level leadership (program directors, deans, etc.) when they feel offended by constructive criticism.

If this is a sizeable fraction of our future workforce, there will still be a shortage of competent medical professionals. I certainly have no interest in hiring attendings with no work ethic and I suspect most current practice leaders wouldn't either. At best, they will be utilized as cheap, low-complexity medical cannon fodder.
Diagnostic issues as well. Incompetency. Leaving cancer biopsies on their desk NOT SIGNED OUT for weeks is what I’ve heard.

How many of the graduating residents out there with these issues I’m not sure about but they are out there.

• Wow

I know experienced attendings who can’t or don’t want to wake up early.

Go ahead and say it. They are snowflakes.( and no, I’m not a Trumper)

Why do you think I picked pathology? :sleep:

Me too. The extra hours of sleep I've gotten as a pathologist vs choosing another specialty over the years has reduced my stress, lowered cortisol levels, improved alertness & cognition, and boosted my testosterone 💪.

Overall, this will support better health and longevity. And no, it's not so I can die at the scope because I don't plan on working until I can't anymore, or because I didn't find Path interesting. But, these are certainly fringe benefits that contribute to my health, happiness, and well-being.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Me too. The extra hours of sleep I've gotten as a pathologist vs choosing another specialty over the years has reduced my stress, lowered cortisol levels, improved alertness & cognition, and boosted my testosterone 💪.

Overall, this will support better health and longevity. And no, it's not so I can die at the scope because I don't plan on working until I can't anymore, or because I didn't find Path interesting. But, these are certainly fringe benefits that contribute to my health, happiness, and well-being.
Talking about longevity, have you heard of David Sinclair and his take on eating less to promote longevity? Like one meal a day? NMN supplements and resveratrol?

If you want to live long time, you better go rural. Rural pathologists live lot longer in studies. Don't need vitamins or anything

Amen!!!

Best job ever!

You should write a manual about how to make millions in rural/semi rural America. I’d buy it. I’d love to learn from you.

I doubt anyone out of training has the money or time to start up a company on the side but I’m sure it’s possible.
The manual has been written. Webb read it. I read it. Multitudes of others have read it. It is no secret but involves lots of delayed gratification and hard work.

Some people are “country folk” who grew up in and love that life. To each his own.
And some folks get tired of the flash mobs on North Michigan Avenue in Chicago or slipping in s*** and landing on a needle in S.F.

And some folks get tired of the flash mobs on North Michigan Avenue in Chicago or slipping in s*** and landing on a needle in S.F.
I'd say there's a greater chance if one goes rural, to contract rabies from a skunk bite vs going to Bay Area, stepping on :1poop:, slipping (instead of continuing walking), falling on a needle and contracting HIV.

Last edited:
I'd say there's a greater chance if one goes rural, to contract rabies from a skunk bite vs going to Bay Area, stepping on :1poop:, slipping (instead of continuing walking), falling on a needle and contracting HIV.
You're also more likely to get shot and killed by your rural neighbor when you accidentally pull into their driveway.

You're also more likely to get shot and killed by your rural neighbor when you accidentally pull into their driveway.
Happens in the city, too, if you knock on the wrong door by accident.

Talking about longevity, have you heard of David Sinclair and his take on eating less to promote longevity? Like one meal a day? NMN supplements and resveratrol?
Sinclair has too many conflicts of interest for me to take him seriously anymore. He sold his stake in resveratrol to GSK for $720 million and they shut their entire project down when they couldn't replicate his results. He also belongs to a company which lobbied to get NMN taken off the market as a supplement.

Eating less promotes longevity in the sense that you can maintain being at a healthy weight, unless you're talking about fasting for long periods.