Status
Dental Student
i'm a reapplicant.
i am applying this cycle with
3.27c
3.08sci
3.11bcp
19/19/18

what do you guys think about my stats? my gpa is below avg and my dat is right around avg. i'm strongly considering taking the dat again, should i? i just don't want a lower score! do you guys think i have a chance?

oh yeah...
my stats for the 2006 cycle were
3.19C
2.87sci
19/19/18
i got zero interview invites and acceptances! i submitted in july and took the dat in sept.

i'd appreciate any feedback!

aggie-master

Scrub
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
TX
Visit site
Status
Dentist
I would take the DAT again. The people that get in usually have either a 3.5 or better GPA or a good DAT. You can't do anything about your GPA but you can improve your DAT score.

I would study hard for it until I'm getting 20s on Bio/Chem/OChem/QR on practice tests if I were you and then re-take the DAT when I get to that point.

icecoast

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
lovechild404 said:
i'm a reapplicant.
3.27c
3.08sci
3.11bcp
19/19/18

what do you guys think about my stats? my gpa is below avg and my dat is right around avg. i'm strongly considering taking the dat again, should i? i just don't want a lower score! do you guys think i have a chance?

oh yeah...
3.19C
2.87sci
19/19/18
i got zero interview invites and acceptances! i submitted in july and took the dat in sept.

hi

i think that aggie-master does have a point especially since there were no interview invites. i would suggest for you to submit your application with your current scores and then submit your new scores later on. I say this because if you took the DAT in Sept. then it takes a short while for the scores to be sent to the schools. so it could be a time line issue as well as other factors.

although, your gpa is not the highest -it is also not the lowest. remeber, the personal statement does matter...so get advise from senior pre-dents, pre-dental club, or advisors. if you have not already done so.

good luck and be sure to highlight the positives and not the negatives.

Do not give up... MAKE SURE... you call the schools to see what factors you should improve on / what the school recommends you to do.

icecoast

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
lovechild404 said:
i'm a reapplicant.
3.27c
3.08sci
3.11bcp
19/19/18

oh yeah...
3.19C
2.87sci
19/19/18

hi

you are almost there... don't give up now. take the dat only when you feel super confident.

call the people that admister the dat...they have sample tests. i found the sample tests to be pretty close to the actual test ..

don't forget to contact the schools

munch22

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
icecoast said:
hi

you are almost there... don't give up now. take the dat only when you feel super confident.

call the people that admister the dat...they have sample tests. i found the sample tests to be pretty close to the actual test ..

don't forget to contact the schools

When did you apply last year? That is a huge part of it? I applied last year as well, but unfortnatly to late. Also, a piece of advise. If you are going to retake it, do not indicate that on your application at AADSAS. Otherwise, the schools will not review your information until your new test scores are in. (this is what I have been told by others in similar situations to yourself) I would rather have them look at old scores early until my new ones come in than wait until it may be to late anyway. So either retake the DAT by mid August or don't indicate the retake on your app.

OP
lovechild404

lovechild404

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
under a rock
Status
Dental Student
thanks for the replys, guys!
i'm going to take the dat again...damnit! hopefully i can pull a 20 aa. HOPEFULLY.
i submitted my application in july last year, but didn't tkae my dat until sept, which was pretty late. that really hurt me, but what killed me was my sub-3 sci gpa. i'm in the clear for this cycle. thank goodness.
i already indicated on my application that i'm retaking the dat, i submitted about 2 weeks ago. i wish i knew that aadsas puts off reviewing applications until the most recent dat is received. damnit!
thanks again!

believe2006

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
lovechild404 said:
thanks for the replys, guys!
i'm going to take the dat again...damnit! hopefully i can pull a 20 aa. HOPEFULLY.
i submitted my application in july last year, but didn't tkae my dat until sept, which was pretty late. that really hurt me, but what killed me was my sub-3 sci gpa. i'm in the clear for this cycle. thank goodness.
i already indicated on my application that i'm retaking the dat, i submitted about 2 weeks ago. i wish i knew that aadsas puts off reviewing applications until the most recent dat is received. damnit!
thanks again!

hey i have similar situation as you. im reapplying. my gpa is higher than yours but my dat was lower than yours. i was wondering.. anyone could help here pls.. does it make a difference if take the dat again in aug or sept?? i thik ill be much more ready in sept than aug. (by the way i have already indicated on aadsas that im retaking)... i just dont want to messup... i sent in my addsas 2 weeks ago.