HES Glide Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxprime

Higgs chaser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a reasonable way to skip the glide year? My only thinking is one could (I know - crazy) take orgo I/II over the summer and cram for the MCAT - seems impossible to me to do anywhere as well as normal timing would allow. Most HES take MCAT in Spring of their 4th semester, right?

What do people do in the glide year? It seems like (if funds allowed), it'd be silly not to try to do an SMP or similar program @ the med school you wanted to go to but couldn't normally get into (G-Town for me).

Members don't see this ad.

Scratch what to do in the glide year - searched & found it. I'm still interested to see if not having a glide year is at all reasonable.

Maxprime said:
Scratch what to do in the glide year - searched & found it. I'm still interested to see if not having a glide year is at all reasonable.

There is no way to aviod the glide year, that is just they way medical school admissions works; you apply in June of one year and begin August of the following year. What you do in that time is upto you, some people look for research opportunities, etc., but I think most people like to relax and save some money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you have to hedge the risk of not getting in that year (SMP or something similar?).

If you do an SMP - do you just have to apply really late? If you don't have MCAT scores until May in your last semester, that's the earliest you can apply - right? Sounds risky . . .

Maxprime said:
Don't you have to hedge the risk of not getting in that year (SMP or something similar?).

If you do an SMP - do you just have to apply really late? If you don't have MCAT scores until May in your last semester, that's the earliest you can apply - right? Sounds risky . . .

I believe people with low to boarderline stats apply to SMP's concurrently with medical school. Yes, if you don't get your scores back until May you won't be complete for either program. What risk are you referring to? The reason you are applying to SMP programs is because there is a risk you won't get into medical school, correct. If you can do and SMP within the time you are waiting for interviews, etc. that is great.

Honestly I'm not all that familiar with how SMP's work, but I think that is the main idea; either doing one while you are applying (in the glide year) or after you have been rejected.

Sundarban1 said:
Yes, if you don't get your scores back until May you won't be complete for either program.

My question really boils down to - if you take the MCAT's your last semester - you are applying to med schools that fall and doing a glide year. But since you need MCAT's to get into an SMP and you don't get them until May (start classes in August @ SMP) - doesn't that leave you far behind the pack in applying to SMP's?

Also, if you take orgo over the summer - you wouldn't be ready for the MCAT in August, would you? I figure all your time would be studying for class and you'd neglect the other sections (since orgo in the summer is nuts) - correct?

Maxprime said:
My question really boils down to - if you take the MCAT's your last semester - you are applying to med schools that fall and doing a glide year. But since you need MCAT's to get into an SMP and you don't get them until May (start classes in August @ SMP) - doesn't that leave you far behind the pack in applying to SMP's?

Also, if you take orgo over the summer - you wouldn't be ready for the MCAT in August, would you? I figure all your time would be studying for class and you'd neglect the other sections (since orgo in the summer is nuts) - correct?

Correct, usually people have been unsuccessful in one attempt at the medical school admissions cycle before applying to SMP's so they have the advantage of already having their scores.

Right, usually if you're going to take the August MCAT you are not going to take Orgo over the summer.