Hey guys~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pluto130

Do you think that a guy walking into an interview room

without taking off a stud earring can actually be rejected because of

that ?

Just curious what you guys think cuz that's what I did and no schools want me lol..

sigh..

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think it is that important for most schools beacuse its really personal, but I think it will kinda effect their decision at least in some schools in terms of looking professional. my friend had a punked pink hair and they accepted hair but they asked why you dyed your hair pink ?

I think it is absolutely possible. I don't really agree with it, because I am more of a "to each is own kinda guy," but jewelry (other than watch/wedding band) is usually a bad idea for a guy when it comes to interviewing. I really hope you just got it pierced and it has not healed and this is your reason for leaving it in. You seem to smart to overlook this

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely should have had the earring out. Bad idea.

Do you think that a guy walking into an interview room

without taking off a stud earring can actually be rejected because of

that ?

Just curious what you guys think cuz that's what I did and no schools want me lol..

sigh..
WAT?! how did you NOT GET IN TO ANY SCHOOL?!!? O M G!?!?

yes I think it would have some weight on their final decision. How many interviews? Did anyone tell you that was a risky move? Did you not think about it? I just want to know, not trying to be sarcastic. Best of luck.

WAT?! how did you NOT GET IN TO ANY SCHOOL?!!? O M G!?!?

Not trying to put down the OP, but come on it's hard to believe your stats. Penn just strait up rejected him w/o an interview? I'm a little skeptical of this earring lovin predent.

Last edited:
I think it was a bad move to leave it in.

Anyway, your lack of dental experience (from what I see on predents) may have been a bigger issue. Therefore leading to the lack of interviews and subsequent acceptances even with those stats.

Well.. those really are my stats ...
except that my gpa went down to 3.91 after 2009 fall semester

Why would i lie about my stats at the Predent lol

I was shocked when UPenn rejected me w/o even interviewing me and
I posted a thread about that too.

I almost gave up now and I'm just waiting for the next cycle -
God, it would be awful if the reason for not getting into any schools really turns out to be the earring thing..

Well.. those really are my stats ...
except that my gpa went down to 3.91 after 2009 fall semester

Why would i lie about my stats at the Predent lol

I was shocked when UPenn rejected me w/o even interviewing me and
I posted a thread about that too.

I almost gave up now and I'm just waiting for the next cycle -
God, it would be awful if the reason for not getting into any schools really turns out to be the earring thing..

geez high stats..I am sorry for questioning..they are really that high.
why would you lie? Because you can. But, I believe you because you posted an entire thread about Penn. 30 hours is low? But I only have 60. Have you done any mock interviews/received feedback from friends/advisors? I wish you the best of luck.

How do you feel your interviews went?

Yeah thanks -

I've been thinking it was all about the interview too..
I did practice with a list of anticipated questions in front of me,
but didn't ask for any feedbacks from ppl around me.

Interview with Minnesota went really bad .. I won't be surprised even if
I get a rejection letter from them soon.

Interview at Harvard and UNC went ok I think..

But as I was wondering what could have lead to this awful result - the earring suddenly popped up in my head - lol

I'm gonna rip off this earring if this cycle ends with all three rejections.

haha kidding

no.. maybe I really will..

i guess dentists are really mostly conservatives

Repeating what I said above:
Anyway, your lack of dental experience (from what I see on predents) may have been a bigger issue. Therefore leading to the lack of interviews and subsequent acceptances even with those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
It could have been your dental experience, or the way you interviewed. On the earring front, I can't call it. I don't even go with FACIAL HAIR on interviews (I went with traces of mustache stubble for mine, and I even thought that was pushing it lol). You never want to take chances with an interview. The only thing that you want your interviewer to notice is your responses to their questions.

I really hope that if you don't get in, you are able to keep your head up and remember that things truly do happen for a reason. You have excelled in academics and perhaps this possible year off will be a blessing for you. You can take a break and get involved in some interesting dental experiences. Take a chance to relax and prepare for dental school. I really do wish you the best and I hope it works out for you.

why did you withdraw from three schools pre interview?? for someone so smart, where was your common sense! (not to make you feel worse, but really now)

try contacting michigan?

I withdrew from those schools becuz.. after realizing that I wasn't accepted by either Harvard, Minn, and UNC, which are my top 3, I just thought I will try again for one more year rather than going for other schools that aren't my top choices..

I know this might sound super arrogant to some ppl and there is absolutely no guarantee that I would have been accepted by those other schools if I didn't withdraw in the first place, but I have no regret in my decision ..

I'll graduate from my undergrad and spend a year developing myself and then next year, go for those three schools again - without any earrings.

I withdrew from those schools becuz.. after realizing that I wasn't accepted by either Harvard, Minn, and UNC, which are my top 3, I just thought I will try again for one more year rather than going for other schools that aren't my top choices..
If you have no intention of going to any school besides those 3 then why did you apply to the others in the first place?

I wasn't sure which schools to apply when I was submitting my AADSAS application in July. I wanted to submit the application as early as possible after taking the DAT so I just wrote down a list of schools with decent reputations and where I was eligible to apply.

And as I was waiting for interview invitations I learned about dental schools more and decided that I like Harvard, Minn, UNC, and Penn the best -

wow- everyone so interested about my story- :) lol

I don't really understand why you are willing to wait another year to go to schools you think are better than others, but to each his own I guess. With those stats, there's no way in hell the earing was the deciding factor.

Just my view, I think the East Coast schools all have such history and traditions will really look down upon students who wear ear rings or studs or I guess unnecessary jewels. Just b/c they're probably on the more conservative side when it comes to modern fashion and what's been defined as professionalism for a VERY long period of time. Otherwise, why should we dress professionally when going into an interview. Guys should NEVER wear any jewelries unless it's like a wedding ring or maybe your graduation ring from undergrad, which I did. And after reading through this post. I am also really curious on why you withdrew from those schools?? I mean you applied, spent all those money and time already, why not just follow through and see what happens??? You really have to look into the school's environment and curriculum and maybe locations to see if you like the schools or not. Not just by reputations alone here, just my 2 cents.

While it kind of sucks that interviewers might make whether a male has an earring or not a decisive factor in whether or not he's a good choice as a student, that's simply the way it is sometimes. I wear an earring myself and I was actually told during one of my interviews that wearing an earring is probably not the best choice, because it looks unprofessional. Thankfully, the interviewer liked me enough to sort of let it slide.

Ultimately it depends on the type of person your interviewer is. Some do unfortunately make big character judgements based on whether you wear an earring or not. Some don't really care. Either way, it's best to play it safe for these kinds of interviews.

i'm starting to wonder if since you hadn't heard from 2 schools by late november/early december with those stats and you didn't apply too late... maybe it's something in your personal statement too.

I don't really understand why you are willing to wait another year to go to schools you think are better than others, but to each his own I guess. With those stats, there's no way in hell the earing was the deciding factor.

I disagree, with not getting in and stats like that the earring may have played a more negative role than you think. There could be a box the every interviewer needs to check off or not that says "large male earring". It may have been too tacky or gaudy, next time I'd leave it at home.

Last edited:

I know this might sound super arrogant to some ppl and there is absolutely no guarantee that I would have been accepted by those other schools if I didn't withdraw in the first place, but I have no regret in my decision ..

I'll graduate from my undergrad and spend a year developing myself and then next year, go for those three schools again - without any earrings.

This is a great plan. You have the academics down, just spend time working on you. :) We all need some time to reflect. That is one of the most valuable aspects of a good applicant, IMO.

Even though your GPA & DAT are excellent, I agree that the earring was not the best idea. That's why dental schools interview - to see what you're like in person.

I also think there's something else going on. Penn not only rejected you without knowing you have an earring, they rejected you right away. From this, I think it's safe to say your application wasn't too late(Sept 20 rejection is early), but perhaps your essay was poorly written and/or had typos and/or seemed like you weren't "passionate" about dentistry.

I'm surprised that you withdrew from Columbia & Michigan - both are excellent schools. Perhaps that illustrates your lack of passion at becoming a dentist.

I disagree, with not getting in and stats like that the earring may have played a more negative role than you think. There could be a box the every interviewer needs to check off or not that says "large male earring". It may have been too tacky or gaudy, next time I'd leave it at home.
I think you guys are being a little too cynical. People are not that shallow. If he had a good interview and great stats and they felt he was a good candidate, he would get in, earing or not. There has to be something else there.