hey is physics 2 harder than physics 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oreo Milk Shake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i am taking a lot of classes this semester, and I was wondering if physics 2 would tear me up. I took physics 1 and it was so so I'd say, but after reading the first chapter of my physics 2 hw, I'm telling myself...what did I get myself into? How was physics 2 for yall? thanks for your opinions...appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally yes. Electricity and magnetism are more abstract concepts than kinetics, so people tend to not catch on as quickly. Don't worry though. Just give yourself time to get comfortable with the material and you'll survive.

Physics 1 can be difficult because you're learning new things, new terms, new ideas. But in physics 2, you're using the same ideas, but applying them to new things. jpharm is right though, the concepts can be more abstract, so difficult to comprehend if you don't give it time.

I got the same grade in 1 as I did in 2, so...yea, not that it really tells you anything, but maybe if you do well in 1 you can atleast survive 2. Just give it the time it needs, and you'll be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about college physics or high school physics? I've only gone through High School physics (cause i'm still in high school) but I only took 1 and 2. 2 was DEFINITELY harder than 1! Forces killed me! But i guess it might be different for you. But yea, after taking physics 2, I hated physics forever and I also dropped physics 3 that I was supposed to take this semester.

Out of my 3 quarters of physics, I thought the 2nd quarter was harder than the other two. I did not enjoy electricity, but it's not that bad! :D

Physics II is more abstract than the more elementary mechanics taught in I. If you are adept in math, then either physics is relatively comparable.

Personally, I thought II was more interesting than I because the concepts were closer to real life than a overgeneralized force diagram common in I.

What type of physics are you in? Is it a calc based for engineers or is it a trig based physics? I thought physics 2 was MUCH more interesting and I liked it a lot more than the first semester. Generally if you had a difficult time with the first semester, you will probably have to block a big chunk of time for the second semster. Like others, I got the same grade in both semesters.

I found it to be a little less natural as far as understanding. If you can get by without taking a calculus based class I suggest it if you're worried about difficulty.