Hey

Started by 8744
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

8

8744

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I just scrambled into Family Medicine at Duke and I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I hear a lot of people talking about "Family Medicine with OB." I really liked OB-Gyn (but not enough to specialize in it) and I was wondering if every FP can practice "Family Medicine with OB" or does it require a fellowship.

I had planned on Emergency Medicine but I have to admit that I am pretty excited about Family Medicine and thrilled to be going to Duke.
 
Technically, any FP can do OB, but in reality it depends on the experience you get in residency and where you end up afterwards. I don't know about Duke, since I didn't apply there, but the programs on the east coast tend to have lower delivery numbers. There are fellowships which you can do if you don't think residency was enough and especially if you want to do C-sections. Very few FP residencies alone prepare you adequately for C-sections (though there are some).
 
Panda Bear said:
Hey, I just scrambled into Family Medicine at Duke and I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I hear a lot of people talking about "Family Medicine with OB." I really liked OB-Gyn (but not enough to specialize in it) and I was wondering if every FP can practice "Family Medicine with OB" or does it require a fellowship.

I had planned on Emergency Medicine but I have to admit that I am pretty excited about Family Medicine and thrilled to be going to Duke.

Sorry to hear that. I am in a similar boat. Applied to EM and didn't match. Scrambled into a FM spot. Now I have no idea what the future holds. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tailor your FM rotations around critical and urgent care learning. If you are board certified FM doc, you can cover just about any ER, except the big academic trauma centers ( but maybe there too) Just look at an ER doc job ad. THEY WILL TAKE FM trained docs, so make the best of your experience, Plus places like UT memphis have a one year ER fellowship for FM docs only and you become double board certified in FM and ER. check out their web site. You got a job...go have a beer or two and modify and adjust as life goes on...GL! 👍
 
Cristagali said:
tailor your FM rotations around critical and urgent care learning. If you are board certified FM doc, you can cover just about any ER, except the big academic trauma centers ( but maybe there too) Just look at an ER doc job ad. THEY WILL TAKE FM trained docs, so make the best of your experience, Plus places like UT memphis have a one year ER fellowship for FM docs only and you become double board certified in FM and ER. check out their web site. You got a job...go have a beer or two and modify and adjust as life goes on...GL! 👍

Thanks for the advice. I checked into the 1 year EM "fellowship" and it is actually a PGY4 position under the supervision of an EM doc. It does not allow you to become double boarded in FM/EM. It's purpose is for FM docs to serve as the EM docs in rural areas or those areas without a supply of EM docs.

I guess I will have to get used to the idea of primary care. 🙁
 
Cristagali said:
tailor your FM rotations around critical and urgent care learning. If you are board certified FM doc, you can cover just about any ER, except the big academic trauma centers ( but maybe there too) Just look at an ER doc job ad. THEY WILL TAKE FM trained docs, so make the best of your experience, Plus places like UT memphis have a one year ER fellowship for FM docs only and you become double board certified in FM and ER. check out their web site. You got a job...go have a beer or two and modify and adjust as life goes on...GL! 👍

Don't let the EM forum get wind of this!
 
I just got back from an ACOFP conference and one of the exhibitors there was a company that hires exclusively FP docs to do ER work throughout the southeast. Can't remember the name but could probably find it if you are interested.

As stated before, perhaps they fill only rural hospitals.
 
thanks said:
I just got back from an ACOFP conference and one of the exhibitors there was a company that hires exclusively FP docs to do ER work throughout the southeast. Can't remember the name but could probably find it if you are interested.

As stated before, perhaps they fill only rural hospitals.

It would be wonderful if you could post the name of the company!
 
Dammit, now that I've asked around and talked to our family medicine people I actually like the idea of family medicine. Seems like a perfectly decent specialty to me.
 
Panda Bear said:
Dammit, now that I've asked around and talked to our family medicine people I actually like the idea of family medicine. Seems like a perfectly decent specialty to me.

Seems boring to me, but I don't know anything much about the specialty. My only experience was during my FM rotation where it seemed all the patients came in with sinus infections. I was bored to tears. Got sick also.
 
you cant adequately judge FP on a one month outpt rotation. sometimes i wish i had only sinus infections in my office versus some train wrecks with a problem list from hell that i see. the other day i had a 7 day old 35 wk premi come in that was born with extra finger appendages that i had to tie off with sutures so they would become necrotic and fall off in a couple of wks. after that i had my ob pt with gestational diabetes with sugars way out of control. so dont let the above post fool you to believe fp is runny noses. besides outpt medicine is only a part of the specialty depending on what you want. i like inpt medicine more so my electives will be geared for just that. i am doing an extra ICU month, extra floor months, and will moonlight as the hospitalist at our teaching hospital for more experience my third year. the role of the fp hospitalist is growing as more and more pcp's choose not to do inpt medicine, and this includes internists. its amazing and sad how little people really know about FP.
 
dr.smurf said:
you cant adequately judge FP on a one month outpt rotation. sometimes i wish i had only sinus infections in my office versus some train wrecks with a problem list from hell that i see. the other day i had a 7 day old 35 wk premi come in that was born with extra finger appendages that i had to tie off with sutures so they would become necrotic and fall off in a couple of wks. after that i had my ob pt with gestational diabetes with sugars way out of control. so dont let the above post fool you to believe fp is runny noses. besides outpt medicine is only a part of the specialty depending on what you want. i like inpt medicine more so my electives will be geared for just that. i am doing an extra ICU month, extra floor months, and will moonlight as the hospitalist at our teaching hospital for more experience my third year. the role of the fp hospitalist is growing as more and more pcp's choose not to do inpt medicine, and this includes internists. its amazing and sad how little people really know about FP.

I didn't mean to disparage the specialty as that is what I will be doing now. I just don't know what opportunities exist. Sounds like you are having an exciting and challenging experience. Can you mention what state (or region) you are in? I wonder if FPs have more responsibilities in certain areas over others.
 
The people I've talked to and stuff I've read about FM all support what dr. smurf is saying. It has to do with the broad training. Once, an EM told me they would prefer FM over IM to cover the ER because IM will not see kids, will not see gyn, will not do sutures, will not do XYZ, making IM so painful to work with. A lot of the programs I interviewed with had recent grads go into hospital medicine and ER.

I will agree though that outpatient medicine is quite boring if you're a med student. But during my 4th year, my preceptors/faculty gave me more responsibility in taking care of clinic patients and it was pretty cool. Broad training gives you a broad perspective and helps when you come up with a wider differential. This is what differentiates FP from PA/NP. And the continuity and the relationship you form gives you a chance to follow up and check to see if you're right. That's what differentiates primary care from specialty care.

The hallmark to FM is the diversity and variety. I agree that it is too bad that people don't appreciate this.
 
FMbound said:
It would be wonderful if you could post the name of the company!

I'll post it tonight - gotta go through my stacks of conference papers
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Called ECC - Emergency Coverage Coorporation - coverage in KY, TN, Alabama, GA, SC, NC and VA.

1 800 577 7707

Good luck
 
thanks said:
Called ECC - Emergency Coverage Coorporation - coverage in KY, TN, Alabama, GA, SC, NC and VA.

1 800 577 7707

Good luck

Thank you for the information. I'll give them a call and see what the options are.