Hey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shraddham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a dilemna right now. Got accepted to osteopathic medical school here, but is that the best option for me? Should i consider Manipal or caribbean? I am asking this because osteopathic degree is not widely recognized outside the us. D u think its equivalent to MBBS? Will i face problems practicing as a do in India?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a dilemna right now. Got accepted to osteopathic medical school here, but is that the best option for me? Should i consider Manipal or caribbean? I am asking this because osteopathic degree is not widely recognized outside the us. D u think its equivalent to MBBS? Will i face problems practicing as a do in India?

i would think so. Whats your primary goal? If you want to practice here in the US i would stay with the DO because you have a lot of opportunities with residency as you are going to medical school here. If you are thinking of practicing overseas then you will have to do some leg work because as you said the DO title is not recognized easily elsewhere. Also as a DO you can take the USMLE anyway.

im not sure how strict India is with their laws and policies and their infrastructure, they might let you pass if you have a DO. This i am not sure of however, i would find out!

The DO degree is equivalent to the MD degree.

By "here", i'll assume you mean the US and that's where you are from. So, my next question would be, where do you intend on living and practicing ? As the above poster mentioned, if it's the US, DO is your best bet. Not because standard of education wise other institutions aren't at par, but because you will do yourself a favor and save yourself the anxiety, come residency match time. That is of course considering you want to work here.

Now DO is not recognized by the MCI (Medical Council of India). Yes, technically DO=MD=MBBS. An MBBS, post ECFMG certification, can use the title MD. But MCI holds it's own registration exam for Indian born foreign medical graduates in order to allow them to get the MCI Regd. no. Following which you can use MBBS alongside your name and practice. With that said, doing MBBS directly from India from a place like KMC, Manipal would be alot better. You'd have interaction with Indian patients and above all, be alot more familiar with the medical system when your time to finally practice comes around.