HEYALP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gloh

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Vet Experience:
NONE!! 💀
Get vet experience as soon as possible and come back here later. You need to make sure this field is where you feel okay spending the rest of your life.

Your app will be most strengthened by vet experience right now anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
NONE!! 💀
For my excuse, there's nothing in the area, clinics are all at driving distance, I did not have a license until a few months ago, and thus obviously have no car in my possession, no public transportation, and most importantly international students cannot work off campus. And a lot of the vets were hesitant to invite me to shadow them knowing I had no car and I would be biking to their clinic on the not-so-bike-commuters-friendly road.
If you don't mind the question: where are you? How did you look for experience? I'm guessing since you are international, that prevented you from getting experience. You have listed a fair amount of animal experience, so I'm shocked none of those experiences connected you to a vet.

I am also a little concerned about what your research experience is. What did you do for the 600-hour experience: just data analysis?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As Matt said, I think you need to get a lot of veterinary experience before even thinking about applying, and varied experience, so don’t put a lot of time pressure on yourself to apply next year. Get some quality experience under your belt.

Also, as someone in the final year of a dual program, I strongly recommend doing the degrees separately (if doing two at all). There are very few circumstances where I think a dual program is worth it, and nothing in your post makes me think you’ll be in one of those IF you decide vet med is right for you.

Though I’m going to be frank with you that your reasoning for wanting both degrees is something you could do with only a PhD, and you need to consider the massive amount of debt vet school puts on your shoulders.

Reactions: 4 users
As Matt said, I think you need to get a lot of veterinary experience before even thinking about applying, and varied experience, so don’t put a lot of time pressure on yourself to apply next year. Get some quality experience under your belt.

Also, as someone in the final year of a dual program, I strongly recommend doing the degrees separately (if doing two at all). There are very few circumstances where I think a dual program is worth it, and nothing in your post makes me think you’ll be in one of those IF you decide vet med is right for you.

Though I’m going to be frank with you that your reasoning for wanting both degrees is something you could do with only a PhD, and you need to consider the massive amount of debt vet school puts on your shoulders.
Thank you!

Get vet experience as soon as possible and come back here later. You need to make sure this field is where you feel okay spending the rest of your life.

Your app will be most strengthened by vet experience right now anyway.
Thank you!