HHMI Summer Med Fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverCat

The Friendly Reapp Cat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering when we should start contacting potential mentors? I know the app opens in November, but I was wondering how long it generally takes to draft a proposal for research? How many mentors should we ask? Also, will it hurt your chances at being accepted if you come from an unranked med school?

Also, I know researchers tend to get tons of emails, and often won't reply, so what's the best way of getting in contact with them?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess these questions were too ridiculous. :(

My apologies.

Nah man, they're not ridiculous at all.

I did the HHMI year-long fellowship last year (07/12-06/13). The application for the fellowship was due for me on January 11, 2012. I began looking for a mentor in August 2011 and found one at the end of August. We met several times between September and December to talk about the project, and we wrote the proposal (5 pages) between November and January.

It doesn't hurt to start looking for mentors as soon as possible--especially because you'll probably be busy doing other med student stuff during the year! I'm not sure how many PI's to ask, but do your homework when searching for a mentor--look at their papers, talk to med students who have worked in their labs, and talk to trusted professors at your school who can point you to good mentors. I think it is also important to make sure that your future mentor has strong funding; you can check out this site (http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm) to see who at your institution has NIH funding, and can even look up research topics that are of interest to you. I never had a problem getting in contact with potential mentors through e-mail, but of course I would always try to set up face-to-face meetings.

I don't think med school ranking matters much to HHMI, more so the research potential of the student, track-record of the mentor, and the quality of the proposal.