Hi All

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoogSC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, so bear with me!

I am looking for some feedback regarding medical school acceptance based on my background, whether it be at a DO or an MD school.

I have a BS in Dietetics as my first college degree and have the RD credential. I work part-time (8-12 hrs per week) as a consulting clinical nutritionist a community hospital, a job I have held for several years.

I also have a BSN in nursing and work nights in the Oncology department of a general hospital elsewhere in the state. I find my job very rewarding and enjoy helping people who are undergoing treatment or who are terminally ill. Some of these patients improve greatly in outlook if people are supportive and help them feel comfortable.

As an undergraduate, I took Biology I and II, Anatomy and Physiology, Human Genetics, Micro, Biochemistry, and General and Organic Chemsitry, as well as my Nutrition courses. When I transferred into a nursing program, I took Cell Bio and Pathophysiology, as well as my clinicals. I never took Physics beyond HS and never took any Calc.

In Biology, A & P, Micro, Pathology, and Nutrition, I scored straight As. I did okay in Genetics and cell bio (B and C+), and horrific in Gen Chem :scared: (C- and D, retook to get a B- in Chem I, kept the D in II) and okay in Orgo (C+ and B-).

It has been a while since I graduated, but I've retained nearly all of my biological knowledge. I do use some chemistry at work, but it is simple and not highly quantitative (actually not at all!).

I would certainly need some brushing up in a lot of places, but what are my chances of getting into a DO school, provided I did decently on the MCAT? I always wanted to be a physician, but time, money, and stress all came into play.....as an undergrad, I was too immature to handle that kind of work, anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, your post might fit better in pre-DO or pre-MD. My opinion? Seems like you need to do dcent on the MCAT. That C+ in Cell bio, D in Chem 2, and C+ in Organic 1 are not going to help you. It all depends on your overall GPA and your overall science GPA. Your experience will definitely be a strong aspect of your application, and probably the strongest, unless you absolutely destroy the MCAT. I would play up the experience big time. But again, there's so much to an applicant that it's hard to tell you one way or the other. I would focus on the MCAT for now, since your grades are already cemented in stone. Look at the average science and cumulative GPAs for individual schools to see how decent your shot is.

JohnDO said:
Hey there, your post might fit better in pre-DO or pre-MD. My opinion? Seems like you need to do dcent on the MCAT. That C+ in Cell bio, D in Chem 2, and C+ in Organic 1 are not going to help you. It all depends on your overall GPA and your overall science GPA. Your experience will definitely be a strong aspect of your application, and probably the strongest, unless you absolutely destroy the MCAT. I would play up the experience big time. But again, there's so much to an applicant that it's hard to tell you one way or the other. I would focus on the MCAT for now, since your grades are already cemented in stone. Look at the average science and cumulative GPAs for individual schools to see how decent your shot is.

Thanks for the feeback. I'll nose around the forums and see if I can find some other areas to post...I enjoy getting other people's view. Good luck in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from posting in the pre-MD and pre-DO areas...but you also might look into becoming an NP or a PA. Few schools, if any, require the MCAT. Some require the GRE and most require past health care experience, which you already have. The GRE is also MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the MCAT. Just something to think about! Good luck and Welcome!!!

ailuj9 said:
Aside from posting in the pre-MD and pre-DO areas...but you also might look into becoming an NP or a PA. Few schools, if any, require the MCAT. Some require the GRE and most require past health care experience, which you already have. The GRE is also MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than the MCAT. Just something to think about! Good luck and Welcome!!!

If you consider an alternative then NP, especially with the BSN, would be an easy fit. The curicculum will be similar with stress in psycology and sociology. If I could stand psychosocial anything for more than a few minutes, that's what I would do.

If you want to be a physician though, nothing else can fill that need. Forget the GPA and don't stop moving forward until you get what you want!

GoogSC said:
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, so bear with me!

I am looking for some feedback regarding medical school acceptance based on my background, whether it be at a DO or an MD school.

I have a BS in Dietetics as my first college degree and have the RD credential. I work part-time (8-12 hrs per week) as a consulting clinical nutritionist a community hospital, a job I have held for several years.

I also have a BSN in nursing and work nights in the Oncology department of a general hospital elsewhere in the state. I find my job very rewarding and enjoy helping people who are undergoing treatment or who are terminally ill. Some of these patients improve greatly in outlook if people are supportive and help them feel comfortable.

As an undergraduate, I took Biology I and II, Anatomy and Physiology, Human Genetics, Micro, Biochemistry, and General and Organic Chemsitry, as well as my Nutrition courses. When I transferred into a nursing program, I took Cell Bio and Pathophysiology, as well as my clinicals. I never took Physics beyond HS and never took any Calc.

In Biology, A & P, Micro, Pathology, and Nutrition, I scored straight As. I did okay in Genetics and cell bio (B and C+), and horrific in Gen Chem :scared: (C- and D, retook to get a B- in Chem I, kept the D in II) and okay in Orgo (C+ and B-).

It has been a while since I graduated, but I've retained nearly all of my biological knowledge. I do use some chemistry at work, but it is simple and not highly quantitative (actually not at all!).

I would certainly need some brushing up in a lot of places, but what are my chances of getting into a DO school, provided I did decently on the MCAT? I always wanted to be a physician, but time, money, and stress all came into play.....as an undergrad, I was too immature to handle that kind of work, anyway.

Your credentials sound fantastic! I wouldn't worry at all about those C's. Okay...you have a couple Bachelors degrees, but you made no mention of what your GPAs are?? Or sciGPAs?

Assuming your GPAs are solid, I really don't think you need to do that well on the MCAT if you apply broadly and do not limit yourself geography wise. I would guess 23-25 on MCAT with an early application would get you in.

I bet you will have some great employer LORs as well with all your experience. Nutrition is a great premed degree...and obviously nursing is too.

If you shoot for mid 20s on MCAT, that shouldn't be too stressful. If you do even better, then you can be assured you'll get in!!!