hi every one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alkimista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am anesthisiologist in latin america and i am going to live in england and i would like to work there, but i don't know what i have to do for do my papers there or where i have to go , i want to be anesthesioloist in england and i don't have any ideas, some one can help me ??? any information would be great, please !!
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well are you going there by yourself? or are you married to a UK citizen? If so, then it might be possible to actually get in. If not, then it's almost impossible.

Either way, you have to write the PLAB (parts 1 and 2; part 1 can be taken outside of UK while part 2 is only available in the UK.) Passing it will not however, entitle you to get into a training program. It merely gives you certification by the GMC, allowing you to work there. You have to just look for hospital vacancies, and try your luck applying in those places. The general order of preference in recruiting graduates is as follows:

UK citizens from UK medical schools >> EU citizens from EU medical schools >> non-EU citizens from EU medical schools > EU citizens from non-EU medical schools > non-EU citizens from non-EU medical schools.

Anesthesiology is apparently not as competitive as some of the other fields (mostly surgical.) But I'm still not sure if it would be possible for a non-EU citizen from a non-EU medical school to get in.

You can check out this website for more info.:
http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/before_you_apply/imgs.asp

Good luck!

Last edited:
hi shreypete
thank you so much for your information, i person of the hunders, and i am married with a british citizen we have a son and we deside to live in england thinking in my son's future and i don't want to be a housewife, i have been student medicine for 10 years, that is my life, and i realy want to work in england as a doctor, i'm gonna try with my heart or death on the way.
thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
UK citizens from UK medical schools >> EU citizens from EU medical schools >> non-EU citizens from EU medical schools > EU citizens from non-EU medical schools > non-EU citizens from non-EU medical schools.

Good luck!

This isn't true. If you have an EU degree or are an EU citizen you are considered exactly equal to a UK citizen with a UK degree. Also until recently the citizenship was the issue rather than where the degree was from, now both are equal.

Well it would only be obvious that a country would give first preference to it's own graduates especially when it comes to the more competitive specialties (surgery etc.)

actually I just got confirmation that EU citizen with EU MD is directly "fully registered" and can apply for F2 whereas a UK graduate with "only" MBBS (5 years instead of 6 for most EU MD) can only apply for F1
So priority is not exactly the one expected...