Hi Guysss. Question about 5 year md in ireland

Started by clkbrre
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clkbrre

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a third-year student at the University of Toronto in Canada. I am international in Canada, the US, and the EU. This year, I applied to 5-year MD programs in Ireland. I don't know when to hear back from them. I have a really low GPA—about 2.7—in undergraduate. But my GPA in high school back then was 98.9. I have research, shadowing, and volunteering experiences in a clinic in the medical field. When should I expect to hear back from the schools?

I applied to
1. University College Cork
2. University College Dublin
3. University of Galway
4. RCSI
 
I'm sorry to say, but with a GPA < 3.0 I think your chances of getting into medical school are very poor. And perhaps that's for the best, as many people find the rigors of medical school far outpace undergrad. No one will care about your high school GPA any more. I think you should focus on improving your undergrad performance as your primary goal at this point. If you were to somehow get a spot in a medical school, and then fail out, you'd have nothing -- no undergrad degree, no medical degree, just a bunch of credits.
 
You could apply to medical schools in Italy. The language is English, they are public schools and very inexpensive. Only criteria is a high score on the IMAT. As non-EU you can only apply to one school, so if you just want to attend "a" medical school, chose the less competitive ones in southern Italy (for example, Bari). The only criteria is the IMAT score, nothing else.
 
I'm sorry to say, but with a GPA < 3.0 I think your chances of getting into medical school are very poor. And perhaps that's for the best, as many people find the rigors of medical school far outpace undergrad. No one will care about your high school GPA any more. I think you should focus on improving your undergrad performance as your primary goal at this point. If you were to somehow get a spot in a medical school, and then fail out, you'd have nothing -- no undergrad degree, no medical degree, just a bunch of credits.
Thank you so much for being fair. I am an international undergrad in Canada; English wasn't my first language. That's why I had lots of challenges in the classes, understanding the concepts in my 1st and 2nd years. It was my first time learning in English. I was a really successful student in my hometown, which is proven in my high school transcript. That's why I have some hope, but are you saying that it is nearly impossible?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could apply to medical schools in Italy. The language is English, they are public schools and very inexpensive. Only criteria is a high score on the IMAT. As non-EU you can only apply to one school, so if you just want to attend "a" medical school, chose the less competitive ones in southern Italy (for example, Bari). The only criteria is the IMAT score, nothing else.
Is it 6 years
 
Thank you so much for being fair. I am an international undergrad in Canada; English wasn't my first language. That's why I had lots of challenges in the classes, understanding the concepts in my 1st and 2nd years. It was my first time learning in English. I was a really successful student in my hometown, which is proven in my high school transcript. That's why I have some hope, but are you saying that it is nearly impossible?
What NAPD said was 100% correct. Nothing you did in high school matters for med school. You have to significantly improve your undergrad grades. If you don’t, you won’t get accepted to a reputable school. And as previously said, that would be for the best; if you can’t do well in undergrad courses, med school will not go well for you.
 
I am a third-year student at the University of Toronto in Canada. I am international in Canada, the US, and the EU. This year, I applied to 5-year MD programs in Ireland. I don't know when to hear back from them. I have a really low GPA—about 2.7—in undergraduate. But my GPA in high school back then was 98.9. I have research, shadowing, and volunteering experiences in a clinic in the medical field. When should I expect to hear back from the schools?

I applied to
1. University College Cork
2. University College Dublin
3. University of Galway
4. RCSI
late reply, but did u get into any?