hi, Is Biochemistry, required to get into optometry schools ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple_Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

I have not taken, and I am not planning to take biochem class.

Do I really have to take it to go into optometry school ?

Members don't see this ad.

Apple_Pie said:
hi,

Some schools require it, some don't. Most of the ones that I'm interested in don't require it. Check the course requirements of the schools you want to apply to. One school that requires it that I'm sure of is Southern College of Optometry in Memphis.

Hi,

You can look up each school's specific prerequisites here:
http://www.opted.org/info_profile1.cfm

If you have any further questions, you should contact the school's admissions office.

Although biochem is not required for all schools, it is highly recommended.

Best wishes,

Rosanna

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am debating on whether to take biochemistry. I really don't want to, but I don't plan on taking it until next year anyways. So...still debating

smith351 said:
I too am debating on whether to take biochemistry. I really don't want to, but I don't plan on taking it until next year anyways. So...still debating

I would highly recommend taking two semesters of Biochem. While the first semester may not be as important, I feel that the information I acquired in the second semester was an important foundation. You may actually even find it interesting! If you have room for the course, definately take Biochem. You won't regret it. As I will be attending Ohio State, OSU does require two semesters of Biochem.

Apple_Pie said:
hi,

ICO, PCO, and NECO don't require it, but it might be a good idea to take a semester since you'll be taking it in your first semester of optometry school if I remember correctly. It might be a good way to "transition" into the optometry school curriculum.