Hi, New Here :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brooklea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone !

I am new here and am very interested in Anesthesiology. I have only had my GED and I have been living with some medical problems with my stomach for about 4 years so I have not really had a chance to get into school YET. But I am closer to getting myself fixed and am interested in the medical feild. Have not really made my mind up yet on what I want to do but I have enjoyed reading in this forum and thought I would start here :)

I know im going to have to put in alot of schooling and Im really wondering if I have it in me. But I'm hoping to find something that I would enjoy. :)

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and if anyone has any advice on schooling feel free to send it my way :)

Thanks and God bless

Brooklea

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck. Have you completed undergrad? if not study hard! Anesthesiology is a fantastic field but decide if you want to be a doctor first. it is a long road with lots and lots of hard work. there are days that i think if I had known how much work it was going to be i might not have signed on :) (jk - I am sleep deprived)

Hello everyone !

I am new here and am very interested in Anesthesiology. I have only had my GED and I have been living with some medical problems with my stomach for about 4 years so I have not really had a chance to get into school YET. But I am closer to getting myself fixed and am interested in the medical feild. Have not really made my mind up yet on what I want to do but I have enjoyed reading in this forum and thought I would start here :)

I know im going to have to put in alot of schooling and Im really wondering if I have it in me. But I'm hoping to find something that I would enjoy. :)

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and if anyone has any advice on schooling feel free to send it my way :)

Thanks and God bless

Brooklea

Hey. Welcome. My take on undergrad is to consider a program that will allow you to get a good job should you choose NOT to pursue medicine. Lots can happen between now and then.

There's a huge shortage of medical laboratory technologists. Typically, they are 4 year programs and you'll need to take most, if not all, of the prereq's for med school (most, is more likely). Then, you can take the additional prereq's, but it won't be a major deal for you.

I like back up plans. This would allow you to get a JOB right out of school. You could work in a lab (what they certify you for), go into biotech sales, wind up in the lab automation field in anyn number of capacities (very interesting and some US companies are the leaders in this), or go on to any number of healthcare professional fields.

Look into it. It'll keep the door open for you. I'm big on fields in which you can learn a "trade" of sorts, gain specific skills, and even certification type degrees that qualify you for immediate employment. These are few and far between. But, also that would allow you to go on to other things.

Good luck. There are some great people on this board that you can learn from. Also spend some time on Pre-Allo, but always take advice (including THIS) with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck. Have you completed undergrad? if not study hard! Anesthesiology is a fantastic field but decide if you want to be a doctor first. it is a long road with lots and lots of hard work. there are days that i think if I had known how much work it was going to be i might not have signed on :) (jk - I am sleep deprived)

Thank you for the warm welcome ! Yeah, Im really worried I wont be able to keep up with the work. I know its gonna take alot but I really want to be in the medical field. And No I have not had any college whatsoever so Im really starting from scratch.. lol.. *sigh* But Im determined that I want to make something out of my life besides being a stay at home mom. :)

Again, thank you for the warm welcome and for the information :)

Hey. Welcome. My take on undergrad is to consider a program that will allow you to get a good job should you choose NOT to pursue medicine. Lots can happen between now and then.

There's a huge shortage of medical laboratory technologists. Typically, they are 4 year programs and you'll need to take most, if not all, of the prereq's for med school (most, is more likely). Then, you can take the additional prereq's, but it won't be a major deal for you.

I like back up plans. This would allow you to get a JOB right out of school. You could work in a lab (what they certify you for), go into biotech sales, wind up in the lab automation field in anyn number of capacities (very interesting and some US companies are the leaders in this), or go on to any number of healthcare professional fields.

Look into it. It'll keep the door open for you. I'm big on fields in which you can learn a "trade" of sorts, gain specific skills, and even certification type degrees that qualify you for immediate employment. These are few and far between. But, also that would allow you to go on to other things.

Good luck. There are some great people on this board that you can learn from. Also spend some time on Pre-Allo, but always take advice (including THIS) with a grain of salt.

WOW ! Thank you so much for all the detailed information ! I really appreciate you taking your time out to give me such great advice ! Im gonna have to let this information sink in if ya know what I mean. LOL.. But I really want to say thanks :)

I am just ready to feel normal again. I have not felt normal since before the birth of my daughter. I have cysts on my ovaries and adhesions covering my entire abdomen. ugh but Im hoping to have surgery to remove them Again soon. I know they will come back but I have to have some sort of releif. I have been living with this way too long now.. lol.. Sorry, Im sure you didnt care to hear all of that. It just feels good to get it off my chest once in a while.. lol

Again, thank you so much for this information and I appreciate your advice ;)
God bless

Amyl gives some good advice. The words in bold are especially key.

I encourage you to go to college, take the premed-required courses, and major in whatever you want (yes, there are English majors who go to med school). Study hard and do well in ALL of your courses. Read forums such as this, talk to your premed advisor at your college (if the college you end up going to has one), talk to anyone you know who may be in the medical field, whether they be a doctor, lab tech, nurse, PA, or what have you.

One of the anesthesiologists at my medical school said to me that the biggest key to being a good anesthesiologist is being a good doctor. If you do decide to go to med school (and get in--mind you, it's tough, even with good grades and a laundry list of activities, etc), then I would suggest that you keep those words in mind.

Welcome, and good luck with whatever you pursue. :thumbup: