Hi - New to Forum with DPT questions!! Would love your advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTMaris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading this forum over the past month or so and found it extremely helpful so I decided to register to post and pose some questions as I would really appreciate any and all insight from the members on here.

I have just in the last few months been interested in pursuing a career in PT. I am currently in finance, graduated from undergrad in 2005 with a degree in business management. I have no healthcare experience, nor do I have any of the pre-reqs needed to apply to a DPT program. That being said, I know it is a long road to even apply to DPT school, as well as the long road to finishing school and starting a career as a PT.

Basically, since I would have to take my pre-reqs before applying, the earliest I can apply to start is in June of 2010. This means I’d graduate in 2014, 5 years down the line. This is clearly a huge commitment – both time and moneywise (not just tuition, but lack of income for 3 years). I’d be starting out my career as a PT at age 32.

With this huge commitment in mind, I have a few questions for those on here who are practiving PT’s .

1) Truly, how much do you enjoy being a PT?
2) For those that live in NY/NJ, what are the on average, starting salaries for PT’s upon graduation? (I have found it a little vague to find this on the web)
3) Do you have a specialty within PT? If so, what is it and how do you like it?
4) In what environments do you work? (in, out-patient, hospitals, rehab centers, home care, etc) How do you like it?

Sorry if I am a bit all over the place. I am just trying to figure out if pursuing this career is ‘worth’ it to me. I have always had a strong interest in helping people, especially in the clinical setting. I have researched PT and it seems like the actual ‘job’ fits me. However, with a 5 year road down the line to start including an intensive 3 year full time program with loss of income, I do want to have a career that is monetary fulfilling as well.

I appreciate all of your input. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have been reading this forum over the past month or so and found it extremely helpful so I decided to register to post and pose some questions as I would really appreciate any and all insight from the members on here.

I have just in the last few months been interested in pursuing a career in PT. I am currently in finance, graduated from undergrad in 2005 with a degree in business management. I have no healthcare experience, nor do I have any of the pre-reqs needed to apply to a DPT program. That being said, I know it is a long road to even apply to DPT school, as well as the long road to finishing school and starting a career as a PT.

Basically, since I would have to take my pre-reqs before applying, the earliest I can apply to start is in June of 2010. This means I’d graduate in 2014, 5 years down the line. This is clearly a huge commitment – both time and moneywise (not just tuition, but lack of income for 3 years). I’d be starting out my career as a PT at age 32.

With this huge commitment in mind, I have a few questions for those on here who are practiving PT’s .

1) Truly, how much do you enjoy being a PT?
2) For those that live in NY/NJ, what are the on average, starting salaries for PT’s upon graduation? (I have found it a little vague to find this on the web)
3) Do you have a specialty within PT? If so, what is it and how do you like it?
4) In what environments do you work? (in, out-patient, hospitals, rehab centers, home care, etc) How do you like it?

Sorry if I am a bit all over the place. I am just trying to figure out if pursuing this career is ‘worth’ it to me. I have always had a strong interest in helping people, especially in the clinical setting. I have researched PT and it seems like the actual ‘job’ fits me. However, with a 5 year road down the line to start including an intensive 3 year full time program with loss of income, I do want to have a career that is monetary fulfilling as well.

I appreciate all of your input. Thank you!

Well, I'm not a practicing PT, but here are my 2 cents.

1. I'd imagine if you are a PT, you enjoy it. Not many people put themselves through the extensive program for nothing. Many PT's never had to go for their DPT, so they had a little less schooling, so opinions may vary. I think if you're in the healthcare field, you're in it because you enjoy taking care of people and seeing them progress over time.

2. I'm from Philly, which is right around the NY/NJ area and I've found the starting salary to be around $65,000 at a minimum generally speaking. I've seen many job offerings and talked to new entry PT's who are making $75,000.

3. Can't really answer this one since I'm not a PT, but some PT's do have specific interests such as hand therapy, aquatics, and orthopedics.

4. PT's can work in all of those places. It's not limited. Some work in hospitals, private practices, rehabilitation centers, and so forth.

To sum things up, it's a solid profession to get into in my opinion. PT's are going to be in great demand in the future since the baby boomer generation is getting older. The requirement to become a DPT is different from the past, so with that said, expect to see an increase in average salaries. In addition, you're not limited to your worksite. Many PT's travel and do therapy all over. Some PT's also teach, so the amount of income really varies. I'd recommend visiting different PT clinics and talking to PT's in person to get a real hands on feel and see if you like it. I hope this helps and good luck!

Sorry, it's late so I'm gonna be brief. (I work in NYC and CT)

Being a PT is great. Every time I go back and think maybe I should've gone back to med school and follow my father's footsteps, I immediately think why should I? I like what I do!

I would say that new grads salaries in NY/NJ can very quite a bit but as of 2009, most likely you will be offered around 58-61K plus benefits (and will vary even more based on the type of setting you work in). In 5 years, Probably in high 60s. Thus, depending on tuition costs and loans, you can live moderately yet comfy.

I work in outpatient ortho with a large sports emphasis. I also work per diem at a hospital (ortho and rehab).

My specialty is ortho and sports rehab. I utilize video analysis on my patients/athletes quite a bit and work with young and old, weekend warriors and pros. Also very involved with ACL injury prevention and golf performance and rehab.

I've obviously tailored the way I practice to my interests and the population that surrounds me. This is why I like PT. It can be very diverse or it can be very focused.

And if you're a people person and are interested in the physical aspect of the human body, then PT is perfect! That's the way I see it. You won't be rich, but you will enjoy what you do.

Ive wanted to be a pt since I was 14 when I had my first knee injury..at that time 10 years ago a bachelors was required. Ive never once changed my mind and have worked hard in school ever since to become one.
I saw the education change to masters, then to doctorate, still determined, ive supported myself the whole way through undergrad and have not one penny of help towards grad school which is over 11,000 per trimester for 7 trimesters!
The point being...I know i may be younger but, I will end up with over $150, 000 in student debt with who knows how much interest gained after im done!
But I still to this day can not think of any other career more satisfying! Yes it is a lot of work, yes I know I will probably start out making around 70K, but I will be 26 when i graduate and that is pretty average, and I knew I wanted this from day one and never took one break so you will only be about 5 years older and maybe a little wiser!;)
In the end I really feel it will be worth it if you feel it is the career for you. Yeah youll be out of work but you will be working towards something so it really makes up for itself rather than working in some mediocre job that is not truly satisfying?
The way I see it is, I would rather be 32 with a garunteed stable, excellent fullfilling career, than 50 wondering and possibly regreting not going?

I may not be a pt yet but I have been a patient for 10 years with 3 knee surguries and several other injuries.
There are multiple areas of specialty you can choose from- geriatric/pediatric/woman/acute/outpatient/inpatient/hand/aquatic/orthopaedic/research/sports therapy/oncology/education/cardiovascular/pulmonary/home health/neurolgy/private practice..its endless
This is a growing career and is only improving everyday and becoming more demanding by the minute.
I personally have volunteered and been an aid in several settings, hospital outpatient, inpatient, acute, and sports. I enjoyed them all very much and thought, being an athlete, that I would definetely want to persue the sports area more than anything but really took a liking to the acute rehab center in the hospital. So I feel it is something that I will decide in time with more clinical experience.
I have also been thinking i would like to become a traveling physical therapist for awhile which is another option!
Ok so I have rambled enough, but I hope whatever you decide you do what ultimately will make you happy, and for the record I have met countless pts and I have never met one that didnt love what they do!:)

You should definetely start by checking out the APTA website that is where you will find everything there is to know about physical therapy. Then you should research some schools and find out exactly what requirements you need to fullfill, and then you should volunteer (which can go toward your requirements) for awhile to see if you truly like what physical therapist do, that is the best place to ask all youor questions as well!
Good Luck!

Last edited: