Hidden gem general surgery programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParachuteAdams

Orc Orc Orc
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can be not so hidden as well.

I'm finalizing my list of places to apply to and have really cherished the opinions of residents I've worked with throughout the year who told me about a place I never heard of or would have considered that is now near the top my list.

I'm interested in competitive fellowships (I know plans change) so strength of matches and research infrastructure are important.

Program culture is important to me as well. I wanna like the people I work with, ya know? It's subjective but you know it when you see it.

Any hidden gems you'd recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interested in competitive fellowships, you might not want to be looking for hidden places but rather established academic institutions that have laid out plans for 2 years of research and a well-oiled track into the fellowships you want. The places that have strength of matches and research infrastructure advertise that. It also might be advantageous to look at places that have the fellowships you want. Even if you don't want to end up matching there for fellowship, research and networking in the field can be very helpful.

If you want truly 'hidden gems' that teach you to operate in a not super-malignant environment but that don't have the research infrastructure (which you said was important, so this probably doesn't apply) - some of the community or not-big-name-academic programs I know of either personally (*years ago tho) or through friends are: New Hanover Regional Medical Center, St. Luke's in PA, St Vincent's in Indiana, Kansas University in Wichita, St Joseph Mercy in Ann Arbor, UT Knoxville, Carolinas Medical Center, Unity Point Medical Center in Des Moines, Hennepin County.

Reactions: 3 users
What's peoples opinions on Boston University GS program?