Hierarchy of Presentations? (Rank them!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danzgymn86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...what is the generally accepted hierarchy of presentations between: Publication, Symposium, Poster and Paper.
Obviously, a Publication is the most important, but where do the others fall in there?

Members don't see this ad.

How is paper different from publication? Always thought they were the same thing, unless you mean a paper that wasn't accepted anywhere.

I actually think what you wrote is a good-ranking from highest to lowest, though giving a symposium at a major conference is quite on-par or perhaps even more impressive than a a publication depending on what/where. A symposium at APA is surely more impressive than a publication in podunk community psych news.

Please note that I haven't even started a doctoral program yet, so take everything I just said with a grain of salt. I could be completely off base. Its just how I've thought of things thus far when looking over CVs for grad school.

By paper, I just meant a paper that is presented somewhere...
Like, it seems that a lot of the grad students here either present posters or papers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean by symposium--whether you mean presenting, simply attending, or acting as a disussant. For the others, though, I would rank them as 1) Publication 2) Paper 3) Poster.

By symposium, I mean presenting.

By paper, I just meant a paper that is presented somewhere...
Like, it seems that a lot of the grad students here either present posters or papers.

By symposium, I mean presenting.

Soo, you're presenting a paper? What's the difference between paper & symposium then? What else would you be presenting?? :confused: I'd presume that if you're presenting research, it's already been written up in a paper so not sure what the difference would be here.

Publication, paper, poster...All of which can be presented at a symposium.

Just wondering...what is the generally accepted hierarchy of presentations between: Publication, Symposium, Poster and Paper.
Obviously, a Publication is the most important, but where do the others fall in there?

Some conferences publish proceedings of abstracts for posters and full papers for presentations. This would come before just a poster presentation.

In my CV, I have the following sections: Journal Articles, Conference Proceedings (papers then abstracts), and Presentations (includes posters and papers presented but are not published in a proceedings)

Publication, paper, poster...All of which can be presented at a symposium.

:D this is what I sort of thought (any of 'em could be presented at symposium), but in that case, not sure why they would be listed separately (except for the pub).

Ah, well. I'm sick & half-delirious, so I'll blame my difficulty on that for the time being.