High GPA but low MCATs ....Can I get in??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc6181

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am not a native English speaker. I have a high GPA(3.6) but my MCAts were rather low(18). Do you think if I have any chances of getting into DO this year??
Please suggest what I should do to improve my Verbal 5 only:-(
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

18 MCAT is absolutely horrendous. if you're applying for fall 2004, you have NO chance just b/c of your mcat and the fact it is so late in the process. Retake the mcat and apply for fall 2005. Without retaking it, it's still going to be very hard. Look at Aaron Earles, it took him 4 years of application to get into PCSOM with a 19 mcat and he's even from the appalachia.

An 18 is going to be hard to overcome. Go to the MCAT discussions on this site and search for a thread written by Cerbus I think on how to improve VR scores. I read this a while ago and thought that it would be a pretty good way to improve your score. Other than that I can only suggest taking practice tests. They seem to be the best way to improve scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are only worried about Verbal because you got a 5, then are you saying that getting a 6 and 7 in PS and BS is not concerning? I would atleast try and get in the 20s. Verbal is tough, it was for me and english is my native language. I would do great on practice tests but when it came time for the real deal, I would bomb it. Focus hard on your BS section which should be easy to get a couple of more points in. Also, the PS section. I made the biggest jump here when I retook the MCAT than in any other section. Retake the MCAT this April. I think it would be a waste of time to try and hope to get in with an 18.

Yes, there is still hope!!!

I am not proud of this at all, but I got a 19-O on my MCAT the second time I took it. A 16-L the first time:( :mad: :( :mad: . I got accepted the first year I applied for the Class of 2008, and I am still in my senior year of college.

Although I do not have any tips for improving verbal reasoning scores, I am horrible in that section too, I might have an idea on how you can improve your application.

Do TONS, I mean tons of clinical work, paid or volunteer, join clubs and be as active as possible. Also, what I think saved my application, try to shadow a D.O. graduate of the school(s) you are applying to. Go in there to shadow them and impress the hell outta them. Show off your knowledge of the medical field, osteopathic medicine more importantly, and how you have what it takes to be an excellent physician. This letter will enhance your application like nothing else can.

Best of luck to you in your application process.

Originally posted by crazy250
18 MCAT is absolutely horrendous. if you're applying for fall 2004, you have NO chance just b/c of your mcat and the fact it is so late in the process. Retake the mcat and apply for fall 2005. Without retaking it, it's still going to be very hard. Look at Aaron Earles, it took him 4 years of application to get into PCSOM with a 19 mcat and he's even from the appalachia.

You can just feel the love! That was a very considerate post Crazy, very encouraging...

I don't think an 18 is unheard of. I have a friend at UNECOM, who applied to 10 DO programs and got accepted to ALL of them...with a 20 MCAT. Granted he did a 2 year post-bac at PCOM in which he kicked ass, so it goes to show that a very weak portion of your app can be balanced with a very strong portion.

In fact, adcoms will realize you're not a native english speaker and cut you slack on the verbal score. If you improved your science scores to like a 8 or 9, even a 5 verbal might not hurt you too much (although, it would be great to bumo it up a bit).

I think DocRadak brings up some really good points...

Originally posted by crazy250

In my defense, I was accepted to PCSOM the first time that I applied. I have no problem admitting that the highest score I ever made on the MCAT was a 19Q. Let me tell you something, I know lots of people that scored in the 30s that I graduated schools with, and they struggled, one in particular failed out. The MCAT is ONE aspect of the application process. My undergrad and grad school GPA were great. I work in a hospital and have my own patient load. I have a lot of extracurricular experience. I have a wonderful, friendly personality, and I treat people with respect. Some schools actually look at the entire picture.

FutureDoc, dont ever give up if being a doctor is what you really want to do. If you improve your MCATs, it will give you a better chance. I wish you all the luck in the world. I PMed you.

Getting a low MCAT (eg, sub-25s) just gives the adcom a reason not to accept you. Why not just take it again, score better, then you wont even have to worry about it. It is possible to score better the 2nd time around. For instance, the first time I took the MCAT I got a 19, but the second time around I got a 32. Definately possible, just keep at it.

Thankyou all so much for you encouraging (some not so encouraging) posts.
Any more suggestions???

U know, no one can really say what Ad Coms are looking for. Some say MCAT!!! Some say GPA!!! Some say, Extracurriculars, Volunteer work, Real Life Experiences.....

All I can say is, Follow ur gut feeling. If theres soemthing they see on ur transcript that stands out...ull be invited for an interview. Although, it's a late in the process, theres something called HOPE. But I would prob recommend takign it again. That way, u can save money for applications (primary/secondaries..if money is an issue...) Practice! Practice! Practice!

To help improve Verbal, read newspapers. Learn to skim and summaize paras. If comprehension is the prob, sit with a friend and just talk about what u read. And another tip that helped me out is, PRETEND THAT UR REALLY INTO THE PASSAGe! Some of the passages are boring as hell and we tune out...

At my interviews I was asked why high GPA and low MCAT. I said my GPA shows a cummulative effort which reflects my work ethics and dedication. I took the MCAT twice and ended up with the same score. I almost didnt apply this cycle because of the negative feedback I got from the PreMed Committee.

As someone who also had a high GPA lower MCAT, all I can say is...don't give up! This was my 1st year applying and I got into 3 schools, and waitlisted to a 4th! Please please please don't let a few harsh words deter you from pursuing medicine if it is really what you want to do. Instead, use it as encouragement to do better on the next MCAT. Look, an 18 is low...bottom line. BUT people have gotten in with such scores.

I am not sure how far in the application process you are, but if I was you I would really try and improve my score to even a 20. Every point helps. Your GPA will be a good cushion for your lower MCAT score, and Adcom will see that. Apply for 2005, and until then build your clinical experience. SHADOW A DO!

And since you have some time til applications begin, call schools you are interested in, and speak to their Admissions Dept. Tell them your story, and ask them what you should do. I mean, who better to guide you then the schools themselves? Besides that will give them time to get to know you and your interest in their program.

It is going to be a rough, frustrating road but don't let it get you down. Make full use of whatever utilities are out there...MCAT prep, shadowing, SDN. Good luck.

I took the MCAT twice and scored the same not so great score. But all the while I was taking classes, volunteering and working in a health care setting. I almost did not apply because I was so dissappointed...But like a previous poster said, I went with my gut and I got in at the only school I applied to. :) So once again I say, Keep Hope Alive

That verbal score can be a killer....It's almost better to dump the other two sections and do well on the verbal. The verbal section is used to access a persons critical thinking abilities.

Like the others have said though, if you have lots of clinical experience and are really modivated and have other things going for you give it a shot and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi...we went over this in your other thread but here it is again.

There are cutoff's for MCAT sections at many schools ~7 on any one section. People do get into some schools with an 18 (your other thread stated you got a 21). I would retake it in April and apply next cycle...it would be a waste of money this cycle.

VR is one of those "magic" numbers that seem to be very important to ADCOMs. Many say that this is the most important sections on the MCAT. You should work to get this to at least an 8 or 9.

People that are responding to you aren?t trying to be caustic or discouraging just truthful and remember that you did ask.

I know a few students (some at Jefferson, and some at Hahnemann) who have scores that are similar.....1 had a 19 and the other had a 17....

Do other things to imporve your application....

THIS IS A LITTLE CONTROVERSIAL AND YOU SHOULD DECIDE FOR YOURSELF, but these people I know actually DISCUSSED their MCAT scorers on the application.

They discussed the fact that teh MCAT is not the SOLE indicatore of a physician and that it is not the sole indicator of the desire of a person to be a DAMN GOOD physician!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck in the future!!!!!!!!!

I tend to agree with those that have advised you to take it again. My dog Cosmo got a 19, and he is currently wait listed at TUCOM and LECOM. Not to sound condescending, but I think if you study for it, you might get at least a 25, and with the rest of your app you should have a great shot.

Please don't take this the wrong way; I was just being silly. :D

SpiritiualDuck said:
Medlaw, are you being serious. I find it hard to believe that there are students at Jeff and Drexel with a 17 and 19.

Yah......

Drexel: "Matriculated students had an average GPA of 3.44 and MCAT scores at or above 75th percentile".....I think 17 and 19 are well below 75th percentile...

Jeff: "mean science GPA, 3.51; mean MCAT 10.3" so the total mean MCAT was ~ 30.9...I don't know about a 17 or a 19 sneaking in there but I guess there are always anomalies....right?

Plastix.MD said:
Getting a low MCAT (eg, sub-25s) just gives the adcom a reason not to accept you. Why not just take it again, score better, then you wont even have to worry about it. It is possible to score better the 2nd time around. For instance, the first time I took the MCAT I got a 19, but the second time around I got a 32. Definately possible, just keep at it.
what did u do the second time to get a 32 cuz i'm in the same situation?

purplekat said:
what did u do the second time to get a 32 cuz i'm in the same situation?

Try the examcrackers books: www.examcrackers.com

These books helped me alot, especially the VERBAL 101. I took the MCAT 2x and my verbal went from a 6 to a 10. I also scored sub 25 the first time around and I got a 30 the second time around and was interviewed at 6 TX schools and got accepted to my top choice. This just goes to show that you shouldn't be discouraged by a bad MCAT score, but you should study harder and take it again.

thanks for the advice pbooth. I wish i would have known this 2 months ago. Don't think i'll have enough time to start examcrackers. Maybe if i get a low score again then i'll try that book.

How did you get 32 the second time?

For all: how to you guys actually shadow a doctor?
I am working in the hospital helping patients. One time I approached a doctor and asked some questions, and the nurse got really mad and told me not to bother the doctor anymore... :confused:

Plastix.MD said:

I don't understand why you guys always give fluff to people with crappy scores. I think it is much more productive and helpful to just say the truth, even if it is a bit harsh. Now, I do not mean to be rude, and I truly wish you the best of luck :luck: , but you have got to retake that test. Everybody seems to "know a guy" who got in with a sub 20 score :rolleyes: (no, I am not calling you liars), but I just do not see it happening. An 18 is pretty bad, and a 5 in Verbal really is horrendous. I guess you might get accepted, but then again you might win the lottery, but I would not count on it. Just look at the average score for matriculants (28 for MD, and 26 for DO), and then look at your score, and make the assessment for yourself. Also, somebody mentioned that several schools require at least an average of 7 in each section(21), so there are several schools that you will have no shot at, and your shot at the rest of them is not much better. the good news is that all hope is not lost. they allow you to retake the MCAT for a reason. If you really want to be a physician, prove it by studying your ass off, retaking the MCAT, and scoring 26+ on it. Good luck buddy :thumbup:

Grignard said:
How did you get 32 the second time?

For all: how to you guys actually shadow a doctor?
I am working in the hospital helping patients. One time I approached a doctor and asked some questions, and the nurse got really mad and told me not to bother the doctor anymore... :confused:

What do you mean "how". You ask and then you do it. First, if you don't ask, you will never get to do it. Second, wait until your shift is over, then ask the doctor. That way, the nurse will have no business telling you not to. Also, you could try a doc who is in private practice. Network yourself to meet one, or hit up the old phone book.

I got a 18 the first time and a 19 the second time on the MCAT, and still got in a the last minute of the application process. Keep hope!