High index, big discrepancy between left and right

Started by docinprac
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docinprac

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd really appreciate any helpful comments or advice.
I need to start wearing loupes for practicing dentistry. But I can't wear contact lenses, and I have tried really hard. The problem is that my left eye is around -2.15 and right is around -6.50. I am wearing high index lenses. But for loupes it might be a problem because I have to see out of the edge these large lenses. I think the focus will be significantly different the further away I get from the center of the lense. Is that right? Is there anyway to correct that? Thank you.
 
I'd try it first and see if you can adapt, otherwise cl's would be an easy fix. Refractive surgery may also be an option.
 
This may get closed as providing medical advice, but I'll give you some general information.

More than likely, it's the image-size difference that causes this kind of complaint (aniseikonia). Lenses can be made to correct this image-sized difference, but for loupes, it would have to be done with a spectacle mount where the aniseikonic lens was in the "regular" glasses & a standard loupe mounted on it.

Traditionally, CL's or LASIK are the best long-term solution.

For traditional correction, I'd order a specatacle-mounted loupe and put your full distance prescription in the spectacles. The lenses would have to be aniseikonic lenses (and aspheric to help with the peripheral blur issue).