High OAT, Low GPA, Totally Confused!

heronumber1one1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting here for advice per my sister's request, as she is not registered on SDN. She's currently starting school as a senior and took the OAT yesterday. As I am not very familiar with optometry schools and their admissions procedures, any input from those better knowledgeable is greatly appreciated.

OAT SCORE:
Quantitative Reasoning - 360
Reading Comprehension - 310
Biology - 360
General Chemistry - 350
Organic Chemistry - 340
Physics - 370

Total Science - 370
Academic Average - 350

GPA: 2.98 (assuming this rounds to a 3.0 and 10 classes remaining for senior year)
MAJOR: Bioengineering (Top 5 School)
OTHER: C in Organic Chemistry I, C- in Organic Chemistry II, Taking Organic Chemistry Lab This Semester (1 Lab Course Offered at School for both Organic Chemistry I and II)

Among the questions that she has are:
1) What chances at admission would she have if she applied now?
2) In regards to the C- in Organic Chemistry II, would schools be willing to overlook that given her Organic Chemistry OAT score even though they require a C or higher in all prerequisite courses? Would it be acceptable to the optometry schools if she retakes Organic Chemistry II in the summer before matriculation and gets a C or higher?
3) Will taking Microbiology, Statistics, and Psychology this coming senior year (and not having grades until the end of this year) look bad on applications?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for all help.

Members don't see this ad.

1) What chances at admission would she have if she applied now?
2) In regards to the C- in Organic Chemistry II, would schools be willing to overlook that given her Organic Chemistry OAT score even though they require a C or higher in all prerequisite courses? Would it be acceptable to the optometry schools if she retakes Organic Chemistry II in the summer before matriculation and gets a C or higher?
3) Will taking Microbiology, Statistics, and Psychology this coming senior year (and not having grades until the end of this year) look bad on applications?
First off, let me preface this by saying this is just my opinion... and that she should check with each individual school she is interested in.

1. 53%
2. She has a good OAT of Ochem, I think schools would take that into consideration. When I spoke with UCBSO, they said there is no requirement for the grade. Also, from Western's website, they say that C is required and C- is not, but they also had a disclaimer saying it may be waived if you did well on OAT.
3. Why would it?