High PAT and 18 AA, 18 TS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacAttack66

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm wondering if with a 28 on my PAT, but lower AA and TS, if schools will consider me? I've applied to 16 schools and just finished applying (I know it's late, but I'm hopeful).

My OGPA is 3.7 and SGPA is 3.6.

I have almost 400 hours of volunteer/community service and 150 hours shadowing. Great LORs.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's where I've applied:

A.T. Still Arizona & Missouri
Case Western
Creighton
Loma Linda
Midwestern Arizona & Illinois
Roseman
Rutgers
University of Colorado
University of Nebraska
UPENN
University of Tennessee
University of Utah
Virginia Commonwealth
Western

Hello!
I'm wondering if with a 28 on my PAT, but lower AA and TS, if schools will consider me? I've applied to 16 schools and just finished applying (I know it's late, but I'm hopeful).

My OGPA is 3.7 and SGPA is 3.6.

I have almost 400 hours of volunteer/community service and 150 hours shadowing. Great LORs.

Thanks for any help!
Wow....awesome PAT score! I think the 18's are on the low end but above the cut offs for at least many schools.

Maybe someone will know more about how that 28 will help as some schools count the PAT more heavily than others it seems. Maybe it will counter balance or compensate for a bit lower other DAT scores?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally the PAT is right next to QR in level of importance. An instructor told me a while back they did a study and showed that the PAT has no correlation with actual manual dexterity but for some reason they kept that section in. So no, a PAT usually isn’t a stand out section to do really well in, especially not compared to AA, TS and RC. But that’s an insane score you got regardless

Honestly, 18s are a little low to be really competitive especially at this point in the cycle. But the rest of your application is really good! Potentially look into retaking the DAT to really boost your application

Hey, thank you for your responses, input and help!

Yesterday afternoon, I actually called one of the schools that I've applied to and asked a few questions regarding the strength of my application (I picked one of the schools who I'd already been in touch with a bit and who was very approachable :) )

Of course they could not tell me if I'd be offered an interview and they had not read through my application or reviewed it yet, but we went over my basic stats and they told me I met all of their minimums (but that the DAT was on the lower end...). I was told that the high PAT would definitely help (at least at their school...I know not all weigh it the same).

She also told me that my GPA was high enough to help with the lower DAT.

We will see....fingers crossed!

Oh one more thing is that they told me since I was submitting a little later, I most likely will get more post-December interviews vs. any pre-December. I'll try to stay positive!!

Hey, thank you for your responses, input and help!

Yesterday afternoon, I actually called one of the schools that I've applied to and asked a few questions regarding the strength of my application (I picked one of the schools who I'd already been in touch with a bit and who was very approachable :) )

Of course they could not tell me if I'd be offered an interview and they had not read through my application or reviewed it yet, but we went over my basic stats and they told me I met all of their minimums (but that the DAT was on the lower end...). I was told that the high PAT would definitely help (at least at their school...I know not all weigh it the same).

She also told me that my GPA was high enough to help with the lower DAT.

We will see....fingers crossed!

Oh one more thing is that they told me since I was submitting a little later, I most likely will get more post-December interviews vs. any pre-December. I'll try to stay positive!!
That was a good idea to just call and it sounds like you received some good feedback!

I agree that with your higher GPA, your 18's should be ok (for at least some of the schools on your list). Even for those who would like to see your AA and TS higher, I think they will like seeing the 28 for your PAT (if they feel that score is important for attending their school). I also agree that you will most likely have more interview offers after December as some schools have already given out all of their invites for before December.

Good Luck!!!

That was a good idea to just call and it sounds like you received some good feedback!

I agree that with your higher GPA, your 18's should be ok (for at least some of the schools on your list). Even for those who would like to see your AA and TS higher, I think they will like seeing the 28 for your PAT (if they feel that score is important for attending their school). I also agree that you will most likely have more interview offers after December as some schools have already given out all of their invites for before December.

Good Luck!!!
Thank you....I'm very hopeful and I know it's a waiting game at this point!

Does anyone know if there is a list of schools who put more value on the PAT or do most believe that score won't matter that much in the overall analysis of my application?

Thanks again for all responses and help!

In my opinion, an extremely high score in one section does not do much to neglect other sections. All adcoms look for every section.
I had 26 in OC and 15 in RC, I thought it would compensate for my reading abilities. But didn't get any interviews. Second time taking, I got 28 in PAT and no low scores and I have been told I have good chances. Another word, if you have 16 or lower in one section, I would suggest retaking. This is based on my experience.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, an extremely high score in one section does not do much to neglect other sections. All adcoms look for every section.
I had 26 in OC and 15 in RC, I thought it would compensate for my reading abilities. But didn't get any interviews. Second time taking, I got 28 in PAT and no low scores and I have been told I have good chances. Another word, if you have 16 or lower in one section, I would suggest retaking. This is based on my experience.
Hey, thank you for your response! Have you gotten many interview invites so far on this cycle (hope so!)? Sounds like you have some great scores!!

I actually just got my first interview invite and am pretty shocked I got it so soon!!! So now I'm feeling a bit more hopeful :)

All of this seems so random at times (who gets interviews and who doesn't). That's what makes this whole process so gut wrenchingly torturous :arghh:

Good luck to you!

The other scores are low, similar to your AA.

Great to hear about your interview!

All of this seems so random at times (who gets interviews and who doesn't). That's what makes this whole process so gut wrenchingly torturous :arghh:
Right on!

Hey, thank you for your response! Have you gotten many interview invites so far on this cycle (hope so!)? Sounds like you have some great scores!!

I actually just got my first interview invite and am pretty shocked I got it so soon!!! So now I'm feeling a bit more hopeful :)

It really does seem random! Many with average or lower stats are getting a lot of interviews while some with higher stats aren't getting as many as one would expect. It just goes to show that stats are not everything and other factors are weighed too (such as PS, LORs, shadowing hours, volunteer hours, etc.).

Congrats on your interview invite!!! :)