High school biology?

div60

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the time you get to college and start taking challenging bio classes, do you remember anything that you learned from taking high school bio? Also, do you think taking high school bio really helped you/provided a good foundation when you took the more difficult bio courses in college or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I barely remembered anything from high school bio (if I even remembered anything). That being said, a good foundation from high school will help you for your intro bio class in college, which will then help you in your upper division bio classes. You will most likely find that the concepts you learned in high school bio aren't nearly as advanced or developed as the ones you will learn in undergrad Bio I.

I barely remembered anything from high school bio (if I even remembered anything). That being said, a good foundation from high school will help you for your intro bio class in college, which will then help you in your upper division bio classes. You will most likely find that the concepts you learned in high school bio aren't nearly as advanced or developed as the ones you will learn in undergrad Bio I.

Yeah, my 9th grade bio and AP bio taught me just about everything I knew through most of college, and I had to just fill in some new holes with details from new classes as they got more specific. I'm serious, AP Bio is a whirlwind tour through all of biology, and if you've got a good teacher, you'll learn more there than most of your first year or so of Bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never took high school biology and stilled got 89.8 % on my first college bio class(and no professor did not curve me .01%:mad:). I'll probably get an A on the genetics I'm taking now.

For my first bio class, high school bio didn't help at all. For my high school class, we didn't have that great of a teacher; she barely explained anything and we just did projects pretty much. They cut AP out a couple years before I would of taken it because nobody wanted to take it because everyone said it was an awful class and people from my school usually didn't pass it.

At my college though, bio I is known as the weed out class and it didn't help that the professor that I got has a reputation for being a stickler for details (really nice guy though). That first semester of bio really made me think about changing my career goals though. I ended up getting a B+ only because I went to the proffessor all the time and it was my seminar class so we had assignments other classes didnt' have. People from other schools in my class who had AP tended to think it was that diffucult though. My friend who had AP with a bad teacher still thought it was diffucult though. So, I think a lot depends on the teacher.

Bio 2 at my school has much easier concepts that I do remember some and the proffessor I have is easier. So, high school bio does help there.

Don't really remember much from high school biology. I remember my teacher loved sodium-potassium pumps. I benefited from the advanced EMT courses I took before I started working on my bachelor's degree. I received an A in bio I and II, so not sweating bullets quite yet.

By the time you get to college and start taking challenging bio classes, do you remember anything that you learned from taking high school bio? Also, do you think taking high school bio really helped you/provided a good foundation when you took the more difficult bio courses in college or not?

If you think about it, the low level bio classes (such as middle school and HS), are really just basic information that the pretty much knew already. Sure, there were some new topics, but you'll be fine in the college bio...it's all about keeping up with the work and getting help if needed before everything snowballs.

Well as other members have said, it builds a good foundation for the future. HS biology should as an example:

Give you a good intro to histology and with that, genetic replication.

Get the ideas of evolution and basic taxonomy.

A basis of how body systems function together.

The purpose is to give you an initial exposure but won't nearly give you the detail you are expected to know once you hit college level-major's biology.

The more you know going into the class, the easier the class will be.

AP biology definitely helped. I had a teacher who used to teach biology at college and even though I hated her (her exams were ridiculous) I learned and retained a lot. However I took "high school" biology in 7th grade so I remembered nothing when I actually got to high school, but it didn't affect me. I guess the same would go for taking bio in college without high school bio? I dunno.