High school experience for Vet Apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HurricaneKatt

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys just asking on behalf of a friend. I know vet school and med school are Very similar in the overall requirements and application process, but obviousnly not identical. For pre-med we were Always told high school doesn't count. I assumed the same was true for vet school. My friend however did a ton of volunteering in high hschool (at the zoo and vet clinics). Is this going to be able to count towards her application? 😕
 
Hey guys just asking on behalf of a friend. I know vet school and med school are Very similar in the overall requirements and application process, but obviousnly not identical. For pre-med we were Always told high school doesn't count. I assumed the same was true for vet school. My friend however did a ton of volunteering in high hschool (at the zoo and vet clinics). Is this going to be able to count towards her application? 😕

Yes. And HS volunteering definitely counts. The application includes areas for HS activities, too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ugh! That is so unfair! rofl Not cool. 😛 I did cool stuff in high school. haha Thanks for the fast replies guys! 🙂
 
Unfair? The average vet student applicant has 1,000+ hours of veterinary experience, with however much (separate) animal experience tossed in. I had closer to 5k hours... some on here approach 10k.

So, nyeh. :d

ETA: Oh, I see you meant for your high school hours counting. Well, I dunno what to tell you about that - you'd have to take it up with med schools. 🙂
 
If it makes you feel better, the hours I put on my application must have been done in the last 5 years. I already lost 50 hours because it was done in highschool. Next year, I will lose 200.