High School GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sadusumilli

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am going through a little problem. I want to do Pharmacy really really badly. I am really good in Chemistry and I really like that subject too. My High School GPA, however, is only 2.96 but I am a Eagle Scout, I work at my local Rescue Center, and I worked at the Children's Hospital of Dallas. Therefore, I have really good volunteer services. I got a 1390 on SAT, English+Math, and a 2020 overall. I want to improve it to 1400+. I understand that I can not get into a 6yr or a 5yr program relating Pharmacy. Or can I get in? But I want to go to college and do all the subjects that are required to get into a Pharmacy School. What do I put on my college application when they ask for a major?

Thanks Everyone
 
SAT score is fine. Apply to your state school, complete 2-3 years of pre-reqs there. Major in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or pre-pharmacy or pre-med if available. Its all the same.

GIve 0-6 schools a shot too. You might make it, who knows. You always have the regular 2-3 years of college route, or even a bachelors degree route.

Heres your options (in order of least time to most time):


  • apply to 0-6 (finish in 6 years)
  • apply to your regular state university or other university or just go to community college then apply to pharmacy school (2-3 years of pre-reqs + 4 years of pharmacy school)
  • finish a bachelors degree at your college and then apply (4+4 years)
  • finish a bachelors degree and dont get accepted, and take a gap year (4+1+4)
  • finish a bachelors degree and constantly reapply and never get accepted to pharmacy school (4 + infinity)
Your best bet is 2-3 years of pre-reqs at your state university. Your chances decrease slightly if you do pre-reqs at community college. Your chances increase slightly if you finish a bachelors degree at a reputable undergraduate university.

Best of luck!
 
If you go to a school in TX, I don't think pre-pharm is an option. Either way, I'd go with bio, chem, biochem, or some other science based degree. You'll be taking the necessary courses for any of those by just doing your pre-reqs. Don't think you can't get into a 0-6 program. ALWAYS ASK! The worst anyone can say is no, so it never hurts to ask. Don't take it personally if you get a no, but look at it as one avenue that you cant' take and look to the others available to you. There aren't many 6 year programs out there and they don't take many of the applicants out there each year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you go to a school in TX, I don't think pre-pharm is an option. Either way, I'd go with bio, chem, biochem, or some other science based degree. You'll be taking the necessary courses for any of those by just doing your pre-reqs. Don't think you can't get into a 0-6 program. ALWAYS ASK! The worst anyone can say is no, so it never hurts to ask. Don't take it personally if you get a no, but look at it as one avenue that you cant' take and look to the others available to you. There aren't many 6 year programs out there and they don't take many of the applicants out there each year.

Yep, this is great advice - Don't get discouraged!! Even if you can't do a 0-6, you can still pursue your dream. Your stats are not that bad at all - You could probably knock out a Bachelor's degree and then get to a pharmacy school. By the time you finish your Bachelor's, you can look at the job market and maybe go a different route, too - It offers flexibility. Think of it that way!