High School -> Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlakeC93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is in high school right now. He has been taking college courses concurrently for the last two years. He has 90+ college credits and he is rather brilliant. Regardless of his brilliance, he is only 18 and he has never experienced a true college life, but he wants to take the MCAT on January 24 and apply to a DO school for this fall.

Is this a mistake, and if so, how can I talk him out of it?

He started studying for the MCAT last week and he wants to take it on January 24 of this year. He wants to apply to a DO school in February to matriculate this fall, fall of 2013. He will have zero upper-level bio courses when he applies, but he plans to have one when he matriculates. He claims to have all his pre-requisites other than the upper-level bio course.

I am a freshman in college with sophomore standing, but I have finally made the decision to stay all four years and complete the normal process. My friend, being highly intelligent thinks he can expedite the entire process by four years. I just feel like this is an awful idea, and as a friend, I want to keep him from setting himself up for failure.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

let him make the mistake himself, he probably won't listen to anyone else anyway. And the MCAT takes more than just 3 weeks of studying, so good luck with that.

Let him go for it. If he is not mature enough, the school won't let him in. Otherwise, they let him in and he does great.

It's not your job to attempt to discourage your friend when he has an admirable goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
:troll:

If you're not a troll, you're friend is EXTREMELY misinformed.

:troll:

If you're not a troll, you're friend is EXTREMELY misinformed.

I sincerely wish I were a troll. I don't know what to say to express how serious I am, but I am not messing around. I don't troll on this site.

I guess you all are right. It is not my job to discourage him, and I did wish him luck, but I am sad to see him make such a big mistake. I mean, he is going to miss out on so many great college experiences. I am just a freshman and I have already had several amazing college experiences. I am looking forward to my next three and a half years of college, but he is just skipping it all.

Anyway, if you all have ideas that may make him deliberate a bit further on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. I will not blatantly tell him to not do it, but perhaps I can provide reason for further consideration.

I sincerely wish I were a troll. I don't know what to say to express how serious I am, but I am not messing around. I don't troll on this site.

I guess you all are right. It is not my job to discourage him, and I did wish him luck, but I am sad to see him make such a big mistake. I mean, he is going to miss out on so many great college experiences. I am just a freshman and I have already had several amazing college experiences. I am looking forward to my next three and a half years of college, but he is just skipping it all.

Anyway, if you all have ideas that may make him deliberate a bit further on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. I will not blatantly tell him to not do it, but perhaps I can provide reason for further consideration.

He won't miss out on anything, he won't get in.

He won't miss out on anything, he won't get in.

I don't think so either, but he is determined to try. Won't performing poorly on the MCAT hurt his chances of getting in later? For example, if he gets a 24, will that be seen by AdComms in the future?

I have a friend who is in high school right now. He has been taking college courses concurrently for the last two years. He has 90+ college credits and he is rather brilliant. Regardless of his brilliance, he is only 18 and he has never experienced a true college life, but he wants to take the MCAT on January 24 and apply to a DO school for this fall.

Is this a mistake, and if so, how can I talk him out of it?

He started studying for the MCAT last week and he wants to take it on January 24 of this year. He wants to apply to a DO school in February to matriculate this fall, fall of 2013. He will have zero upper-level bio courses when he applies, but he plans to have one when he matriculates. He claims to have all his pre-requisites other than the upper-level bio course.

I am a freshman in college with sophomore standing, but I have finally made the decision to stay all four years and complete the normal process. My friend, being highly intelligent thinks he can expedite the entire process by four years. I just feel like this is an awful idea, and as a friend, I want to keep him from setting himself up for failure.

What are your thoughts?

There is 0 chance that he will matriculate this fall.

I don't think so either, but he is determined to try. Won't performing poorly on the MCAT hurt his chances of getting in later? For example, if he gets a 24, will that be seen by AdComms in the future?

It could be seen but if its been more than two or three years the score doesn't count anyways. Plus, taking it at such a young age won't hurt him too much if he didn't get in and went to college for fours years. He could easily explain that he was over zealous the first time he took it.

1- He will probably do bad on the MCAT.
2- He doesn't have a college degree.
3- He won't get in this fall.
4- He has 0 life experience.
5- He is probably socially awkward.

Am I missing something? Can you get into DO schools w/o a BS?

Why is that? Lack of maturity, upper-level bio, or scores? What is your reasoning?

Because the application cycle is pretty much over. No school is going to wait until late February for an MCAT score. And yes, because of all those other things you listed.

Since you're in hs, it's safe to assume you have no knowledge of how medical school applications work. Everyone who will be starting med school this fall sent in their application sometime between June 2012 and December 2012. There will be a handful of people who submitted applications in January, but they all had their MCAT score already in, they all are in college or have already completed a BA/BS, and they all are excellent (read: way above average) applicants. Your friend is none of those things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I originally posted in search of a way to dissuade him, but I have decided against that. You all are right, it is his decision to make. He will do poorly, stay in college, and do well later. It's his money being wasted, not mine.

The OSU-COM in Oklahoma will allow a student to matriculate with 90 credits and 75% of a baccalaureate degree.

Technically you can get into MD without a degree but it almost never happens anymore with the exception of the BS/MD programs.

I'm not sure about DO schools, but my state school says you can start there before completing your bachelors degree, then get mailed your diploma once you finish med school.

It never happens. A classmate applied there with a 4.0/36 and didn't even get an interview. They rejected him saying he needed more coursework. The schools average matriculant is something like a ~3.5/28. He applied again during his senior year and was given a full ride.

So even though some state that they do accept before graduating, I've never heard of it.

But at the same time, if the adcom finds the kid mature enough then why not? Pritzker had like a 13 year old. One of his classmates commented that he was one of the most mature in the class. :laugh:

Because the application cycle is pretty much over. No school is going to wait until late February for an MCAT score. And yes, because of all those other things you listed.

Since you're in hs, it's safe to assume you have no knowledge of how medical school applications work. Everyone who will be starting med school this fall sent in their application sometime between June 2012 and December 2012. There will be a handful of people who submitted applications in January, but they all had their MCAT score already in, they all are in college or have already completed a BA/BS, and they all are excellent (read: way above average) applicants. Your friend is none of those things.

I am not in high school, and I know exactly how the process works. The OSU-COM will accept application through February. He could, technically, get his application in before OSU stops accepting applications.

But I agree, he has little to no chance of acceptance during this cycle.

Well, I originally posted in search of a way to dissuade him, but I have decided against that. You all are right, it is his decision to make. He will do poorly, stay in college, and do well later. It's his money being wasted, not mine.

The OSU-COM in Oklahoma will allow a student to matriculate with 90 credits and 75% of a baccalaureate degree.

You should tell him to call up a couple schools. It sounds like he has the timeline messed up. If he takes the MCAT this spring, the earliest he could apply would be this summer. He would not be able to begin until next fall, not this fall.

I am not in high school, and I know exactly how the process works. The OSU-COM will accept application through February. He could, technically, get his application in before OSU stops accepting applications.

But I agree, he has little to no chance of acceptance during this cycle.

You don't know exactly how the process works if you think application deadlines are meaningful.

How are you so sure your "rather brilliant" friend is going to do poorly on the MCAT?

Also, I agree, it's none of your business what he does in his professional life. If he asks it is kosher to give your opinion, but you're crossing the line otherwise.

You don't know exactly how the process works if you think application deadlines are meaningful.
I second this... I remember when I thought I knew what was going on, I was completely wrong. But back to the original question. This guy most likely will not matriculate, though it has been done (not sure how, but I remember the stats from a year or two ago having the youngest student being accepted at 17-18?). Someone mentioned needing a BS and I'm pretty sure this holds true for 95% of schools. But even past that I doubt he has gotten any shadowing or other life experiences in.

I second this... I remember when I thought I knew what was going on, I was completely wrong. But back to the original question. This guy most likely will not matriculate, though it has been done (not sure how, but I remember the stats from a year or two ago having the youngest student being accepted at 17-18?). Someone mentioned needing a BS and I'm pretty sure this holds true for 95% of schools. But even past that I doubt he has gotten any shadowing or other life experiences in.

Idk, a HS student is already a long shot as a June applicant. As a January (or later) applicant? Impossible.

uploadfromtaptalk1358205158981.jpg
Even this guy got a BS before he went to med school. Your friend is in a rush to go no where, and missing his actual life. If he really is a genius he should take the time to properly learn all the core background material, and do the best he possibly can.

View attachment 22250
Even this guy got a BS before he went to med school. Your friend is in a rush to go no where, and missing his actual life. If he really is a genius he should take the time to properly learn how to have fun, and do the best he possibly can.

ftfy

Your friend is actually in a pretty good place; it sounds like he could get his Bachelor's degree in 1-2 years following HS graduation. However, it would definitely be a mistake to apply at this time. As pointed out, it's way too late to apply for this cycle, and applying without a Bachelor's (or without one lined up) is practically futile. Also, schools can see whenever someone takes the MCAT along with their score. Not only may he not do well with not too much preparation, leading to a permanent low mark on his record, but schools may question his maturity level after seeing he took the MCAT in high school. It's his life, though, so let him figure it out. He will if he's as brilliant as you say.

let's see, there's that business of having 1 yr or Bio; 2 years of Chem; 1 yr of Physics and 1 yr Math through Calculus. Oh yeah, and from accreditied colleges.

then there's all of that pesky EC stuff.

More hints to what school you're at!

Yes, you are correct about this, but even they say that it is almost impossible. I don't think that anyone has matriculated there without a BS/BA in more than 10 years (I could be a little off on this).

I was accepted to this school, and they have already filled over half of their slots. The people that will be interviewing in January, February, and March likely had their applications in as soon as I did (late July) or shortly thereafter.

Moreover, second only to GPA and MCAT, they focus largely on amount of and performance in upper level science classes. I believe you have to have at least 5 and they suggest 9 or more to be competitive.

I don't think that it will hurt him to apply, if he really wants to. It will cost him plenty of wasted money, but they might appreciate his eagerness and reward it later on. OSU-COM is one of the most welcoming universities that I have ever visited and I don't see them holding a grudge.

But, he won't get in. Not this year. Good luck to the both of you.

How do you get 90+ college credits during 2 years in high school? 45 credits a year? What's the point of being in high school, they should just graduate him if he's so brilliant.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Why is that? Lack of maturity, upper-level bio, or scores? What is your reasoning?

All that. Also, matriculating at 18 or 19 doesn't merit someone to be brilliant, there are many people in that position and there are many who opt to not apply when they have the chance.

All that. Also, matriculating at 18 or 19 doesn't merit someone to be brilliant, there are many people in that position and there are many who opt to not apply when they have the chance.

Indeed. It's akin to saying someone who "skipped" a grade in elementary school is a genius.

Let me guess, he wants to be one of those super young doctors that everyone compliments and respects as a genius or something?

Medical schools, especially DO ones, don't just look at your numbers. They want mature and emotionally and socially skilled people, people with life experience. That's why its a great route for nontraditional older applicants. But being 18, your friend just doesn't have the life experience of a 21 year old applicant. What more, he might just be letting his intelligence blind him into thinking he can handle anything. Such an attitude does not make for the best doctor because it can result in overconfidence. A doctor ought to be smart to treat a patient well but also mature enough to look for guidance or help from others. Being 18 might isolate him from other, older students and that won't make for the best experience.

Has he shadowed any doctors? Does he have any recommendations from non-high school teachers? Has he any clinical experience? Research?

Also, how in the world did he rack up 90 credits? My school has some program to get college credits from a Community College in the area but it's very limited.

Sent from my Xoom using SDN Mobile