High School Mistakes

Started by James401
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

James401

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unlike most people who aspire to be doctors I made my decision after i screwed off in high school. Not to sugar coat it, i did terrible in high school, I mean it was plain stupidity and just no motivation. So now that I am in college after 3 years off i am hoping my young mistakes wont hurt my future. I get great grades now and working on my bachelors degree in biology. So my main question is will my grades from way back then hurt me, and i only took one semester of language. And i never took the SAT's. Yea i know... Just looking for some positive help.

Thanks
 
Your grade history starts with college. Med Schools don't give a flying bat in hell about high school grades or SAT. Do well in college and you'll have as much of a chance as someone who did well in high school does to become a doctor.
 
Nope, as long as you didn't take college courses while in high school your grades during that time frame don't matter. If you did take college courses during high school your grades for those courses will be used in the med school application process. Just do well from here on out.


Unlike most people who aspire to be doctors I made my decision after i screwed off in high school. Not to sugar coat it, i did terrible in high school, I mean it was plain stupidity and just no motivation. So now that I am in college after 3 years off i am hoping my young mistakes wont hurt my future. I get great grades now and working on my bachelors degree in biology. So my main question is will my grades from way back then hurt me, and i only took one semester of language. And i never took the SAT's. Yea i know... Just looking for some positive help.

Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How you did in high school won't directly affect your medical school application (medical schools only look at college transcripts and only ask for activities you've done as an adult). If you've been doing great in undergrad, you're in great shape.

FWIW, I graduated with a 2.0 in high school (I grew up in a bad area where no one went to a 4-year school after graduating).
 
No one gives a crap about high school.

I also slacked off in high school, because it honestly doesn't matter.

I had my stuff together in college, was a top student at my university, and made it into a top medical school.

As long as you've been solid since starting university, you're OK.
 
I dropped out of high school after starting to repeat a grade due to a disciplinary expulsion. I am accepted to a good MD school now. Don't worry about high school.
 
Thank you everyone for the replies, makes me feel alot better. Just one more question, did any of you start out at community college??
 
Thank you everyone for the replies, makes me feel alot better. Just one more question, did any of you start out at community college??

I am at community college.

Consensus is, as long as you do well in CC, and then take some upper divisions in university and do equally well (and do well on the MCAT), you should be good to go for med schools that accept CC credits (which are the majority).

Make sure that if you're taking the prereqs at CC, you take them as prereqs to transfer to Uni for your major. If you transfer to a university for a major that doesn't require the med school prereqs, but take them at CC anyway, this may be a problem...yet, refer to the above consensus.
 
I am at community college.

Consensus is, as long as you do well in CC, and then take some upper divisions in university and do equally well (and do well on the MCAT), you should be good to go for med schools that accept CC credits (which are the majority).

Make sure that if you're taking the prereqs at CC, you take them as prereqs to transfer to Uni for your major. If you transfer to a university for a major that doesn't require the med school prereqs, but take them at CC anyway, this may be a problem...yet, refer to the above consensus.

Well I am making sure I am taking every class i need for my pre reqs are transferable. But I still am kinda undecided about what major to achieve. Currently i am taking pre physical therapy classes which are almost exactly the same as pre med. Reason being is if i dont get into medical school after a wile i will be able to try and go to pt school. Does that seem reasonable or should i focus on a major like biology?
 
Major in whatever you want unless the degree literally says "pre-physical therapy."

No it doesnt say that, it is just the course outline if you were going to do physical therapy. It is all the classes i will need and really the only set of classes my college offers that would work towards what i want.

Thanks again
 
I graduated HS with a 2.0 weighted ( I thnk, not even sure). Went to CC and transferred to a decent university and did decent on my MCAT. You'll be fine, just 180 it from your HS mentality and pwn it up
 
You literally could have cheated in high school, and still have no trouble getting into medical school.

One of my fellow classmates in high school cheated on an exam and ended up going to a fourth tier university. She transferred to the University of Wisconsin at Madison, which is a top 50 school.

Even though an IA for academic dishonesty in undergrad is the kiss of death for medical schools, an IA for academic dishonesty in high school will have the same effect as you taping a piece of duck tape to your forehead. In other words, it's meaningless.

Medical schools do not require high school transcripts! Therefore, whether you nearly failed out or cheated, will not matter. Your new beginning starts in college. Anything before then is meaningless, whether you didn't share blocks with kids in pre-school or cheated on an exam in high school.
 
You literally could have cheated in high school, and still have no trouble getting into medical school.

One of my fellow classmates in high school cheated on an exam and ended up going to a fourth tier university. She transferred to the University of Wisconsin at Madison, which is a top 50 school.

Even though an IA for academic dishonesty in undergrad is the kiss of death for medical schools, an IA for academic dishonesty in high school will have the same effect as you taping a piece of duck tape to your forehead. In other words, it's meaningless.

Medical schools do not require high school transcripts! Therefore, whether you nearly failed out or cheated, will not matter. Your new beginning starts in college. Anything before then is meaningless, whether you didn't share blocks with kids in pre-school or cheated on an exam in high school.


This lol. This also explains why freshman are so annoying, because they are still in high school mode.