High School student interested in Emergancy Medicine Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Serj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a High School Senior from South Texas. I am very interested in becoming a paramedic as a career, and then eventually.. becoming an ER physician. I'm not completely sure about much of the process it takes and how everything goes since my school doesn't even offer Health Science classes.
I don't want to go to a community college to just get an EMT-B cert. I would like to attend the State college (University of Texas-Austin) but i don't think they even offer a course. Is it possible to get educated and become an EMT while attending this university, and what else should i Major in or study in college while i'm also working to become a paramedic. Any help and tips on this will be extremely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a High School Senior from South Texas. I am very interested in becoming a paramedic as a career, and then eventually.. becoming an ER physician. I'm not completely sure about much of the process it takes and how everything goes since my school doesn't even offer Health Science classes.
I don't want to go to a community college to just get an EMT-B cert. I would like to attend the State college (University of Texas-Austin) but i don't think they even offer a course. Is it possible to get educated and become an EMT while attending this university, and what else should i Major in or study in college while i'm also working to become a paramedic. Any help and tips on this will be extremely appreciated.

Your young if you want to be a paramedic become a paramedic and put your efforts into that. If you want to be an ER Doc put your efforts into that, their is little to no carry over between the two and none of the classes are the same..

Last edited:
Your young if you want to be a paramedic become a paramedic and put your efforts into that. If you want to be an ER Doc put your efforts into that, they is little to no carry over between the two and none of the classes are the same..

Couldn't agree with this more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a little confused by the OPs question about getting his EMT. You can take an EMT class at a community college and still be enrolled at a university. Also there are usually several places that you can take your EMT during college, fire departments, CCs etc. I would take an EMT class and see if you like it, and find the medicine interesting before going to medic.

Check out this postfrom the FAQ and the resultant discussion.

In short it is possible to go to a university and also take EMT and paramedic classes at a community college. You can then work as an EMT or a paramedic (however neither of those do anything to prepare you academically for medical school).