High sGPA, low overall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrillno

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I'm going to be applying to dental school in the 2017 cycle. I have a 3.7 sGPA and 3.35 overall. I've maintained a 3.7-3.9 the last few semesters. I have about about 1,200+ service hours, 100+ shadowing. I'm also a URM. I just want to know if anyone knows the chances of me getting in somewhere. Also how does it look if my science is higher then my overall?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so I'm going to be applying to dental school in the 2017 cycle. I have a 3.7 sGPA and 3.35 overall. I've maintained a 3.7-3.9 the last few semesters. I have about about 1,200+ service hours, 100+ shadowing. I'm also a URM. I just want to know if anyone knows the chances of me getting in somewhere. Also how does it look if my science is higher then my overall?
I was URM, did not make much of a difference....
anyways, 3.7 sGPA for your whole undergrad career ? - that's very good and matters more than overall GPA. what is you DAT ? that also determines the chances of you getting an interview. GPA + DAT get you an interview, everything else goes from there.

I haven't taken the DAT yet. I'll be taking it in a few months after I study my butt off for it. Yes I ended with a 3.68 to be exact. I just did bad my first three semesters of college

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is good, don't worry too much about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything over 3.5 and a good DAT is competitive.

I have a 3.35 sGPA and 3.66 OGPA and I have interviews lol relax and do good on your DAT and you'll be above average.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Where did you end up getting interviews!?
UDM, NYU, Touro so far. And I don't mean to brag but I am trying to make a point: I've gotten 3 interviews and it's only been 6 weeks since schools received my application. I got my first interview A week after my app was complete. Some people in June/july/August have no interviews or one or two interviews and they have great GPA's and DAT's, scores 10 times better than mines.

The point I am trying to make is, that clearly you can see high numbers are not everything. 1. You have to be very smart when picking your list of schools and 2. Be a very well rounded applicant.

So make sure along with your high GPA you not only do good on your DAT, but build a strong extracurriculur profile to be an overall solid applicant.
Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
UDM, NYU, Touro so far. And I don't mean to brag but I am trying to make a point: I've gotten 3 interviews and it's only been 6 weeks since schools received my application. I got my first interview A week after my app was complete. Some people in June/july/August have no interviews or one or two interviews and they have great GPA's and DAT's, scores 10 times better than mines.

The point I am trying to make is, that clearly you can see high numbers are not everything. 1. You have to be very smart when picking your list of schools and 2. Be a very well rounded applicant.

So make sure along with your high GPA you not only do good on your DAT, but build a strong extracurriculur profile to be an overall solid applicant.
Good luck :)

That makes a lot of sense! What do you think made you stand out?