MD high stats, weak ecs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peridotthecat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm working on constructing my school list, and I'm wondering how much to limit my list based on ECs vs. stats (info below). Guidance (especially from ADCOM members) would be appreciated! I'm mostly worried about my clinical ECs and low shadowing hours...
  • cGPA 3.95/sGPA 3.9
  • (old) MCAT 13V/13PS/11BS
  • NY resident, white
  • ~150 hrs. clinical volunteering, minimal shadowing (OB, ped. surgery so far, hopefully more before app)
  • several summers of research, plus 1 yr as tech in genetics lab, no pubs
  • board member/president of LGBTQ student groups, member of student coalition working on mental health access/issues on campus

Members don't see this ad.

Get off campus and out of your comfort zone, and do something for people in greater need than yourself. I'm not sanguine about your ECs, but there's still plenty of time before app season begins, at least.

Reactions: 1 user
Get off campus and out of your comfort zone, and do something for people in greater need than yourself. I'm not sanguine about your ECs, but there's still plenty of time before app season begins, at least.

Thanks for the reply! How lethal exactly do you think my current set of ECs are? and if I can't find a clinical position that fits that description, I take it you think my volunteering is more lacking than clinical overall? I work full-time, so I'm somewhat limited in the number of extra responsibilities I can take on.

Members don't see this ad :)
In looking at what you wrote down, it looks lackluster, and I worry that you won't get any IIs....or if you do, you'll get waitlisted for the lack.

Working counts as an EC, and if you've worked through college, that's a plus! Anyone who can have a major distraction from their studies and still do well can't be dismissed so lightly.

You can try an app cycle and see how it shakes out, and in the meantime look to bolster your app for the next cycle. Sometimes one has to apply, warts and all.

Thanks for the reply! How lethal exactly do you think my current set of ECs are? and if I can't find a clinical position that fits that description, I take it you think my volunteering is more lacking than clinical overall? I work full-time, so I'm somewhat limited in the number of extra responsibilities I can take on.

In looking at what you wrote down, it looks lackluster, and I worry that you won't get any IIs....or if you do, you'll get waitlisted for the lack.

Working counts as an EC, and if you've worked through college, that's a plus! Anyone who can have a major distraction from their studies and still do well can't be dismissed so lightly.

You can try an app cycle and see how it shakes out, and in the meantime look to bolster your app for the next cycle. Sometimes one has to apply, warts and all.

Ah, I graduated in June, so I'm working full-time but not in school anymore. I worked during the summers through college, but not during the school year. Other than additional volunteering, what would you suggest I look for? And how should this affect my school list?

I'd get 50 more hrs clinical volunteering and just concentrate on the nonclinicals.

All state schools, and medium tiers, with a couple of top tiers thrown in. I'd shy away from the service-loving schools like Rush, Netter and Creighton this time around.

Since you're working full time, you still have time to volunteer. Four-six hrs every weekend from now until 7/1 adds another 80-100+ hrs, after all. Your local houses of worship will have plenty of opportunities....I'm a fan of Habitat for Humanity myself.

Ah, I graduated in June, so I'm working full-time but not in school anymore. I worked during the summers through college, but not during the school year. Other than additional volunteering, what would you suggest I look for? And how should this affect my school list?

I'd get 50 more hrs clinical volunteering and just concentrate on the nonclinicals.

All state schools, and medium tiers, with a couple of top tiers thrown in. I'd shy away from the service-loving schools like Rush, Netter and Creighton this time around.

Since you're working full time, you still have time to volunteer. Four-six hrs every weekend from now until 7/1 adds another 80-100+ hrs, after all. Your local houses of worship will have plenty of opportunities....I'm a fan of Habitat for Humanity myself.

Thanks! If I do that, do you think I'll be competitive (enough)? In terms of prepping for next cycle, are there things I should be looking for other than getting more clinical/volunteer hours?

I think the rest of your app is super. Focus on the ECs!

Here are some more suggestions:

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Thanks! If I do that, do you think I'll be competitive (enough)? In terms of prepping for next cycle, are there things I should be looking for other than getting more clinical/volunteer hours?

Also, when did you take the MCAT? If its the old one then will it be too old for most schools if you decide to reapply for the 2018 cycle?

Also, when did you take the MCAT? If its the old one then will it be too old for most schools if you decide to reapply for the 2018 cycle?

I took it in 2014, so if I end up having to reapply I'll need to take it again

Very very good stats. ECs are easy to fill-up if you put in the time.