High usmle low comlex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HueySmith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens to a DO student if he/she has high usmle scores but low comlex scores? Will that make them less competitive for residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

What happens to a DO student if he/she has high usmle scores but low comlex scores? Will that make them less competitive for residencies?

No. COMLEX is becoming even more useless with how variable the scores are becoming along with the merger. Subsequently, the need to have a Step score is increasing. Although having that score combination, "high USMLE, low COMLEX" is pretty rare.

Reactions: 3 users
I am sorry to say that your OMM residency chances may have just gone out the door.... Shouldn't have taken that USMLE.

Reactions: 24 users
Members don't see this ad :)

My USMLE scores were, in terms of percentiles, better than my COMLEX scores. I took this as an indication that despite the best efforts of my osteopathic school I managed to learn preclinical science correctly.

Reactions: 22 users
My USMLE scores were, in terms of percentiles, better than my COMLEX scores. I took this as an indication that despite the best efforts of my osteopathic school I managed to learn preclinical science correctly.

Man, we had 2 weeks to learn a bunch of random microbiology and antimicrobial pharmacology. Looks like I will be studying this entire subject for real over summer while doing research.

OP, no one cares about COMLEX anymore. You're going to be applying to mainly ACGME programs, so it really doesn't matter. Most ACGME PDs don't even know what COMLEX is.

Man, we had 2 weeks to learn a bunch of random microbiology and antimicrobial pharmacology. Looks like I will be studying this entire subject for real over summer while doing research.

OP, no one cares about COMLEX anymore. You're going to be applying to mainly ACGME programs, so it really doesn't matter. Most ACGME PDs don't even know what COMLEX is.

Sketchy Micro still hands down was the best for getting the convoluted details of micro into my head. It was also very easy to remember during rotations weirdly enough.

Anti-microbial pharm doesn't really ever make sense until 3rd year though. Indications for which cephalosporin and what anti-gram + abx really only clicks after you see them used a lot.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Most PDs know what COMLEX is and most probably can make sense of what a good score is or what isn't a good score. It's just an issue of selection and model. Some academic program feel that they looks better with less DOs and with more high scoring USMLE scores. Others are going to be more interested in whether you're a fit for the program.

Likewise this is of course very dependent on location and specialty. I've had program directors in nice academic programs tell me that they'd interview and rank me even if I didn't take USMLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure I'd go that far. Most PDs know what COMLEX is and most probably can make sense of what a good score is or what isn't a good score. It's just an issue of selection and model. Some academic program feel that they looks better with less DOs and with more high scoring USMLE scores. Others are going to be more interested in whether you're a fit for the program.

Likewise this is of course very dependent on location and specialty. I've had program directors in nice academic programs tell me that they'd interview and rank me even if I didn't take USMLE.

That's true, it is definitely location/specialty dependent. But can't he can just apply with his USMLE score and not worry about reporting COMLEX (unless there is some DO PD at a former-AOA program that takes COMLEX very seriously and demands to see it or something)?

Also I tried sketchy micro/pharm - the problem is I am NOT a visual learner, and the only mnemonics I like are phrases or acronyms. Definitely wasn't working for me like it was working for others, unfortunately. I am a flashcard + practice questions kind of guy, so that's what has been helping me.

That's true, it is definitely location/specialty dependent. But can't he can just apply with his USMLE score and not worry about reporting COMLEX (unless there is some DO PD at a former-AOA program that takes COMLEX very seriously and demands to see it or something)?

Also I tried sketchy micro/pharm - the problem is I am NOT a visual learner, and the only mnemonics I like are phrases or acronyms. Definitely wasn't working for me like it was working for others, unfortunately. I am a flashcard + practice questions kind of guy, so that's what has been helping me.

I doubt many are going to draw attention to it unless it was extremely catastrophic.

I think that can work. I'm very visual so sketchy was gold for me.

I may be wrong but I thought you had to report COMLEX as it is the legal licensing exam for us. Programs need to know we’ve at least passed it so we can legally work. I may be way off with that though. Agree that I don’t think anyone would care about a lower COMLEX when the USMLE is good.

Definitely wasn't working for me like it was working for others, unfortunately. I am a flashcard + practice questions kind of guy, so that's what has been helping me.

I’m a mix and use Sketchy but flash cards and q banks are my gold mine too. What q banks are you using?

I’m a mix and use Sketchy but flash cards and q banks are my gold mine too. What q banks are you using?

I'm using all the QBanks, but mainly Kaplan and USMLE Rx for now (time is a limiting factor).

I just got my COMLEX score back and barely passed. I had a really bad test day, sick and felt like throwing up the entire day. Stomach was growling, could barely keep anything down the entire test. It was so bad, I had to take a break during the middle of my test because I thought I was about to poop my pants during 3rd section so lost time and had one hour to complete two sections. Got a 428. USMLE score 248 that I took the week before. Doesn't help that I had to repeat my first year of medical school. I wanted to go into radiology but I am guessing that's no longer an option? My preceptors love me at my rotations so far. They've both offered to write recommendation letters for me without me even asking. I feel like I am a hardworking person but life loves to take a dump on me all the time. Any help is appreciated. At this point, I am just worried I'll be the person who doesn't get a residency at the end of the match.

Can’t be a FM bone wizard now, bro.

Better start settling for surgical residencies or sub-specialties now.

Suck to be you.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also had an objectively excellent usmle and a pretty “meh” comlex.

Actually it seems like this combination is getting more common, especially this year. I know a good handful of people in my school and others with 240 range step and 500 range comlex... and even more so on SDN. Seems like either step 1 is getting easier or comlex is getting harder, though full disclosure I am also an idiot who no one should listen to.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got my COMLEX score back and barely passed. I had a really bad test day, sick and felt like throwing up the entire day. Stomach was growling, could barely keep anything down the entire test. It was so bad, I had to take a break during the middle of my test because I thought I was about to poop my pants during 3rd section so lost time and had one hour to complete two sections. Got a 428. USMLE score 248 that I took the week before. Doesn't help that I had to repeat my first year of medical school. I wanted to go into radiology but I am guessing that's no longer an option? My preceptors love me at my rotations so far. They've both offered to write recommendation letters for me without me even asking. I feel like I am a hardworking person but life loves to take a dump on me all the time. Any help is appreciated. At this point, I am just worried I'll be the person who doesn't get a residency at the end of the match.

The bigger thing that would hold you back is repeating 1st year. That said, doing well on the USMLE, which you did, should make up for a lot of that. Some programs will be out because of repeating the year, but you should still match. I'd still aim for Rads.

The bigger thing that would hold you back is repeating 1st year. That said, doing well on the USMLE, which you did, should make up for a lot of that. Some programs will be out because of repeating the year, but you should still match. I'd still aim for Rads.
Thank you for the encouragement everyone! It means more than I can ever express! I had been crying my eyes out since I got my comlex score back because I thought there's no way I'd match anywhere with that low of a comlex score and repeat on my application. I am just happy to know getting a residency (whatever it may be) is still an option thanks to my USMLE score!

I am just happy to know getting a residency (whatever it may be) is still an option thanks to my USMLE score!

Yeah your step score is excellent, apply broadly and I would bet that there will be some pretty decent programs that might be willing to look past the repeat if your record has been great since.

Thank you for the encouragement everyone! It means more than I can ever express! I had been crying my eyes out since I got my comlex score back because I thought there's no way I'd match anywhere with that low of a comlex score and repeat on my application. I am just happy to know getting a residency (whatever it may be) is still an option thanks to my USMLE score!

You'll match somewhere. Though, I agree with Hallowmann, your repeated year will be a much bigger barrier than your Level 1. Regardless, that's the most impressive difference in scores that I've seen thus far. Hopefully you'll update us one day where you match.

Reactions: 4 users

I would discourage radiology because of AI and outsourcing to nighthawks in Australia and India. Watson is getting better at reading xrays every year.

Reactions: 2 users
I would discourage radiology because of AI and outsourcing to nighthawks in Australia and India. Watson is getting better at reading xrays every year.

This... This is the top reason why I completely took Diagnostic Rad off my list despite it being #1 on my list coming to medical school. Watson is rudimentary right now. But, in 8-9 years when you're done with Diagnostic Rad training assuming that you're going to Rad, AI reading will be much more significantly advanced than it is now.

Last edited:

Have you guys ever seen an AI attempt to read an EKG? Or solve anything but the most rudimentary captcha? Now google a picture of an abdominal CT.

I think radiologists are gonna be ok for the foreseeable future.

Have you guys ever seen an AI attempt to read an EKG? Or solve anything but the most rudimentary captcha? Now google a picture of an abdominal CT.

I wouldn't say the foreseeable future, but probably at least the next 30-40 yrs (so basically the career of people in med school now). Yeah, computer vision has a long way to go for this. I also suspect that this might change/accelerate with the development of better and more precise imaging technology.

Cell phones used to be in bags the size of laptops 20 yrs ago, and were only phones. Speech recognition was unheard of 20 yrs ago. With processing speeds increasing at exponential rates, it's hard to imagine what AI will be doing in 20 yrs.

I also had an objectively excellent usmle and a pretty “meh” comlex.

Actually it seems like this combination is getting more common, especially this year. I know a good handful of people in my school and others with 240 range step and 500 range comlex... and even more so on SDN. Seems like either step 1 is getting easier or comlex is getting harder, though full disclosure I am also an idiot who no one should listen to.

I guess this is why my school took away the 4mos. of UWorld they were giving us for free and replaced it with a year of COMBANK instead:bang:

Reactions: 4 users