Highest Suicide Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korndoctor

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing rumors on SDN that dentists have the highest suicide rates. How valid is this?

Members don't see this ad.

korndoctor said:
I keep hearing rumors on SDN that dentists have the highest suicide rates. How valid is this?

It's ridiculous. In my pre-dental class we read an article addressing this issue. Dentists overall have the same suicide rate as any other professional group of people. However, it is interesting that female dentists did have slightly higher rates that other professional women.

I don't know the facts, but I think it is very plausible. I talked with my dentist about this and he says it has to do with the business end of things. How prepared do you guys think d-schools prepare us for opening and running your own private practice? From what I've heard, not nearly enough. Imagine starting your own practice (a huge financial investment) and not getting high enough returns. Compound that with the massive student loans you had to pull out and now have to pay off...

Anyway, just remember, suicide is never the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
absurdhippo said:
I don't know the facts, but I think it is very plausible. I talked with my dentist about this and he says it has to do with the business end of things. How prepared do you guys think d-schools prepare us for opening and running your own private practice? From what I've heard, not nearly enough. Imagine starting your own practice (a huge financial investment) and not getting high enough returns. Compound that with the massive student loans you had to pull out and now have to pay off...

Anyway, just remember, suicide is never the answer.
I think you make a good point here.

If someone is suicidal before they ever start dental school, they probably should avoid putting themselves in a stressful career such as dentistry.

Most adult suicides are a result of untreated mental disorders, not stress.

Do dentists have more untreated mental disorders? I doubt it.

It's a myth. Move on,there's nothing to see here.

I bet the reason that women have slightly higher rates than men is because everyone assumes thay are hygenists. LOL :p

Madeleine405 said:
I bet the reason that women have slightly higher rates than men is because everyone assumes thay are hygenists. LOL :p
We also have to deal with men. :laugh:

It's funny the things from movies people will repeat as fact. Isn't this just a gimmick from "The Whole Nine Yards?"

When I got my new advisor this year and told him I was pre-dental he warned me about this :rolleyes: :laugh:

korndoctor said:

If you've heard that stuff it certainly isn't from the dental forums. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum - it's erroneous and the rumor is based on a poorly conducted survey from the 1930's. With that said, no, dentists do NOT have elevated rates of suicide when compared to other professions.

i have heard of this rumor, but if you get into this field for all the wrong reason, I could see how there would be some truth. If you are truely passionate about dentistry, then there shouldnt be any reasons to commit suicide-- unless the reason was not related to being a dentist.

I had this full grown man trying to tell me this same thing the other day. I asked him why he thinks that dentists would have a higher suicide rate and he got this sly look on his face and said, "Its the nitrous. They can't stay off it."

The saying is actually true...due to the fact that Dentists end up making so much money they just don't know what to do with it...one way out

This is irrelevant, but I heard that Anesthesiologists have the highest suicide rant among MDs/DOs. Get this though, One MD actually told me that he believed dentists have a reputation for having a high suicide rate because they were want want-to-be-physicians that did not get into medical school, applied to dental school as a backup, and have since been displeased with life. For the record, that's not my opinion so don't flame me for that response. I for one can not decide rather I want to apply to dental school or medical school because both have their pros and cons and both seem to be attractive professions in there own way. I think both professions are great!

NoBraces said:
Not very from what I've heard but I do keep hearing about this topic again and again.

This article from Straight Dope might enlighten you.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010420.html

for the last time: statistics have repeatedly shown that the suicide rate of dentists is comparable to the rest of the population.

now a couple of poorly designed studies did show a higher suicide rates of ALL HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS - why dentists got the wrap for all is beyond me. yet in fact, within the health care professions, dentists were lower than the others (pharmacists, md's.) even at the bottom of this article it states that medical doctors have higher suicide rates than dentists. surgeons and psychiatrists much higher rates of both divorce and suicide. but hey, have no fear, dentists and doctors on average live longer than the rest of the population!

yea, its true.

A dentist friend of mind was found hanging in his office.. poor dude hung himself with floss.

Another guy I heard overdosed on an undiluted bottle of Scope.

just be careful....

this is why it is suicidal:
stress from the admissions process
stress from the 200,000+ Loan you need to take
stress from NOT getting a job/establish your own practise

Id say one thing: if you can live through the admisiions process, i think you can live through anything!

grifgin said:
...stress from NOT getting a job/establish your own practis...

Especially this one, as joblessness is a rampant problem in dentistry (which also explains why so many dentists struggle to pay back loans).

Sprgrover said:
Especially this one, as joblessness is a rampant problem in dentistry (which also explains why so many dentists struggle to pay back loans).

Really? I thought getting a job after dental school wasn't a big struggle. One could find a job as an associate in an existing practice with ease. I know that the loans I will incur after school won't let me establish a practice right away so I will either have to find a job as an associate in an existing practice or work in a hospital, but I'd like to establish a practice eventually.

If job security is a problem why do so many people go to dental school? :confused:

NoBraces said:
Really? I thought getting a job after dental school wasn't a big struggle. One could find a job as an associate in an existing practice with ease. I know that the loans I will incur after school won't let me establish a practice right away so I will either have to find a job as an associate in an existing practice or work in a hospital, but I'd like to establish a practice eventually.

If job security is a problem why do so many people go to dental school? :confused:

make sure you know a dentist thats going to expire soon

NoBraces said:

(he was kidding)