Highland Interview - where to stay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsTimein2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm interviewing at Highland/Alameda and want to make a mini-vacation of it so I'd like to stay in SF instead of Oakland. How woudl I get from downtown SF to Oakland - cab? public transport (is this safe - it sounds like not, but I'm just curious)

Help, please?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure exactly where you're going, but look up the BART trains and see where they head into Oakland. I found that to be very safe. (little white girl at 5am with huge suitcases)

You can take BART to 12th street Oakland or MacArthur Station. From either place you can hop on a bus or call a cab to come pick you up and bring you to Highland. If you have some common sense, you should make it there safe and sound.

Members don't see this ad :)
rent a car. Public transportation to Highland is a bit tricky. Good luck!

rent a car. Public transportation to Highland is a bit tricky. Good luck!
Actually, I'd go with the BART/cab recommendation. Depending on where you're staying in San Francisco, just getting on to the Bay Bridge can be a nightmare depending on your interview time and navigating around while trying to keep in a game-day mindset can be a challenge.

You're going cross-commute with BART and there are loads of cabs at 12th Street.

I believe the Fruitvale Bart station is the closet if you wanted to cab it. I also think Highland has a direct shuttle Q 5mins from this Bart. You should probably ask the administrative assistant for this info, but I am 99% sure about this shuttle.

Also, just because you are "a little white girl at 5am" and nothing happened, does not mean that this area is safe. It just means you were fortunate. Everybody should be careful around here, irregardless of your skin color, or even time of day/night! Just be vigilant and don't fall asleep on the bus or walk around with headphones on, be smart about it and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

I believe the Fruitvale Bart station is the closet if you wanted to cab it. I also think Highland has a direct shuttle Q 5mins from this Bart. You should probably ask the administrative assistant for this info, but I am 99% sure about this shuttle.
I'd recommend 12th over Fruitvale just because I've had an easier time getting cabs from 12th and it's not much further from Highland. But I didn't know about the shuttle from Fruitvale. Sounds great, and if you miss it, you should be able to get a cab.

Fruitvale is a not for the timid... unless you are seriously strapped for cash, I would get off at 12th and cab it. (actually, my preference would STILL be to rent a car especially if you are on a mini-vacation and want to explore the area)

Fruitvale is a not for the timid...
Neither is Highland. If someone's overly skeeved out by Fruitvale BART station, Highland would probably feel like a long four years. I wouldn't exactly want to live across the street from the BART station, but hailing a cab there near business hours is not a big deal.

Last edited:
Neither is Highland. If someone's overly skeeved out by Fruitvale BART station, Highland would probably feel like a long four years. I wouldn't exactly want to live across the street from the BART station, but hailing a cab there near business hours is not a big deal.

You make a good point. I don't recall seeing many cabs in that area though, have you?

You make a good point. I don't recall seeing many cabs in that area though, have you?
Not nearly as many as you'd find at 12th Street. If there's definitely a shuttle running like forfinity says, Fruitvale makes sense, but I'd probably just take a cab to play it safe and not have to worry about the shuttle running late and whatnot. Fruitvale isn't that much closer than 12th and 12th's an easier cab.