Highland OMFS closed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Van Der Woude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question is in the title. Is highland OMFS closed? Just curious.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What does their website tells you? Have you contacted the PD?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does their website tells you? Have you contacted the PD?

To be fair the website doesnt even show who the current PD is, its outdated that guy left. Not sure if they have a PD, when I interviewed they seemed like they had a temporary set up, not sure what the current status is.

But pretty sure they are still open from what I know. The contact is on the website, she was very quick to respond to emails.

It’s public that the parent academic organization is now UCSF. As opposed to Pacific dental affiliation.

Hello Everyone,

I am currently a Highland Hospital OMFS PGY-3 and I am here to clear up some of the confusion.

Our residency program is definitely still open and we have no intention of closing anytime soon. We are still currently accepting applications for the 2021-2022 calendar year. We plan to hold virtual externships sometime soon. Please contact [email protected] with questions about externships or applications.

We currently have an affiliation with UCSF and have four fellowship trained attendings at our Highland program. We also operate at Kaiser Oakland for orthognathic and TMJ surgical experience, and chief residents are given the opportunity to operate daily. Our new PD will be Dr. Akshay Govind DMD, MD, MPH starting October 2020. Information regarding our attendings and their training can be reached at Home | Highland Hospital Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

We are a four year program in Oakland, CA that has an emphasis on dentoalveolar, implants, pathology, orthognathic surgery, and trauma, however we are expanding our scope due to our new attendings. For those of you who have externed with us already, I'm sure you know the residents are the best part of the program ;)

Please post your questions here and we will try our best to answer them. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello Everyone,

I am currently a Highland Hospital OMFS PGY-3 and I am here to clear up some of the confusion.

Our residency program is definitely still open and we have no intention of closing anytime soon. We are still currently accepting applications for the 2021-2022 calendar year. We plan to hold virtual externships sometime soon. Please contact [email protected] with questions about externships or applications.

We currently have an affiliation with UCSF and have four fellowship trained attendings at our Highland program. We also operate at Kaiser Oakland for orthognathic and TMJ surgical experience, and chief residents are given the opportunity to operate daily. Our new PD will be Dr. Akshay Govind DMD, MD, MPH starting October 2020. Information regarding our attendings and their training can be reached at Home | Highland Hospital Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

We are a four year program in Oakland, CA that has an emphasis on dentoalveolar, implants, pathology, orthognathic surgery, and trauma, however we are expanding our scope due to our new attendings. For those of you who have externed with us already, I'm sure you know the residents are the best part of the program ;)

Please post your questions here and we will try our best to answer them. Thanks!

Thank you SO much for giving an update. I have a couple of questions that I’m sure others share.

1) How has the program changed since changing affiliations? Specifically, How have dentoalveolar referrals changed In volume? Where are implants coming from?

2) When do you expect cancer to pick up at the program? How often do you think cancer cases will be done by the service? It seems many of the attendings have oncology as a focus.

3) I heard the surrounding area can be rough. Where do residents like to live?

Thank you SO much for giving an update. I have a couple of questions that I’m sure others share.

1) How has the program changed since changing affiliations? Specifically, How have dentoalveolar referrals changed In volume? Where are implants coming from?

2) When do you expect cancer to pick up at the program? How often do you think cancer cases will be done by the service? It seems many of the attendings have oncology as a focus.

3) I heard the surrounding area can be rough. Where do residents like to live?

No problem. Thanks for your interest! We are very excited to give you guys more information regarding specific questions on the virtual externships coming up! Please contact the email listed above.

In terms of scope, we still have a heavy emphasis on dentoalveolar and implants and we do not expect that to change. We expect our scope to expand further to be able to treat a wider variety of patients. In other words, we are not seeing a shift in scope, but an expansion.

Like any program with a busy level I trauma center, the areas surrounding the hospitals will not be very safe. Most of the residents do live in Oakland. The city has been gentrifying and there are a lot of nice places not to only live in, but to enjoy outside of work.

Again, we will be more than happy to answer your specific questions regarding types of cases at our externship. We expect an externship date to be chosen sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No problem. Thanks for your interest! We are very excited to give you guys more information regarding specific questions on the virtual externships coming up! Please contact the email listed above.

In terms of scope, we still have a heavy emphasis on dentoalveolar and implants and we do not expect that to change. We expect our scope to expand further to be able to treat a wider variety of patients. In other words, we are not seeing a shift in scope, but an expansion.

Like any program with a busy level I trauma center, the areas surrounding the hospitals will not be very safe. Most of the residents do live in Oakland. The city has been gentrifying and there are a lot of nice places not to only live in, but to enjoy outside of work.

Again, we will be more than happy to answer your specific questions regarding types of cases at our externship. We expect an externship date to be chosen sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Hi, thanks for the info! I was wondering-Does Highland allows their residents to moonlight?