Highlighting - What's your strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirOmin0uS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how much highlighting you all tend to do on the different sections - I feel like I might be wasting too much time with it on the P/B but it keeps me on track in the V. Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't highlight Kaplan, since it was already super-dense. I only highlighted/wrote notes for things I had a hard time understanding (e.g. stupid pulley **** for physics).

Just wondering how much highlighting you all tend to do on the different sections - I feel like I might be wasting too much time with it on the P/B but it keeps me on track in the V. Ideas?
I never highlighted because i thought it was a waste of time. But if you can make good use of it, go for it.

never highlight for Physical or Bio. I mark it up like crazy on verbal. Key words is what I do (but, therefore, in conclusion, further more, then, etc). Whole phrases can become cumbersome and ultimately hinder me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Finally, a question I can answer!
I bought some colored highlighters and some colored stick-on bookmarks. Right now the scheme is (following the book's order):

Biology = orange highlighter / pink page marker
chemistry = blue / orange
orgo - = pink/ pink
physics = yellow/ yellow

As you can see I had 4 highlighters, but the stick-on bookmarks only came w/3 colors. All that really matters to me is that I can tell the sections apart, whether the book is open or closed. When I first began studying I read the DAT review book and my approach was to underline with a black pilot pen, then go back over everything w/a highlighter. But this caused a lot of unsightly smudging. So now when i go back over the sections, I'll just underline w/a highlighter of a different color.

Finally, a question I can answer!
I bought some colored highlighters and some colored stick-on bookmarks. Right now the scheme is (following the book's order):

Biology = orange highlighter / pink page marker
chemistry = blue / orange
orgo - = pink/ pink
physics = yellow/ yellow

As you can see I had 4 highlighters, but the stick-on bookmarks only came w/3 colors. All that really matters to me is that I can tell the sections apart, whether the book is open or closed. When I first began studying I read the DAT review book and my approach was to underline with a black pilot pen, then go back over everything w/a highlighter. But this caused a lot of unsightly smudging. So now when i go back over the sections, I'll just underline w/a highlighter of a different color.
I think the OP is talking about on practice passages, not on reading through the review books. You can't use highlighters on the real test, it's all computer based and I don't think it allows highlighting from what I remember.

I think the OP is talking about on practice passages, not on reading through the review books. You can't use highlighters on the real test, it's all computer based and I don't think it allows highlighting from what I remember.

Well, it was fun to do the colors anyway. :p

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use the Kaplan technique. Examcrackers recommends the exact opposite - reading the entire passage once, carefully. I'm not sure which way to go, but it seems like it'll be much easier to scroll back on a computer. I think I know the answer to this one, but were you allowed to use cmd/ctrl-F to search for words?

Well, it was fun to do the colors anyway. :p

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use the Kaplan technique. Examcrackers recommends the exact opposite - reading the entire passage once, carefully. I'm not sure which way to go, but it seems like it'll be much easier to scroll back on a computer. I think I know the answer to this one, but were you allowed to use cmd/ctrl-F to search for words?
nope, no search for words. That's why those questions where you have to look back into the passage without line numbers really suck.