Hipaa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, Just went to my doc's office yesterday to get my medical doucuments signed for school in the fall. They had me sign all new HIPAA forms and update some other "privacy"forms. They were so concerned about "privacy laws".

Then......................................They called my name to be seen by the doctor.......................they used my first and my last name :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: There went my "privacy as the whole waiting area now knew my whole name". :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
they can call your name as long as its not associated with a diagnosis.

We had a long talk here at my internship cause its a regional health department and people come here for all sorts of fun things...TB, STD, family planning....

Hippa brings a whole new demention cause there is a stigma attached to health departments.

gossip spreads quicker the smaller the town your in :)

Amy B said:
Then......................................They called my name to be seen by the doctor.......................they used my first and my last name :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: There went my "privacy as the whole waiting area now knew my whole name". :rolleyes:

Would you prefer they give you a deli number and wait in line as they call out the numbers?

I think that was the original proposal from HHS - but enough groups protested that decision that HHS decided to drop this requirement (doctors, nurses, and patient advocacy groups feel that it made the whole experience too impersonal)

group_theory said:
Would you prefer they give you a deli number and wait in line as they call out the numbers?

I think that was the original proposal from HHS - but enough groups protested that decision that HHS decided to drop this requirement (doctors, nurses, and patient advocacy groups feel that it made the whole experience too impersonal)

Or rather just call out your CC?

"Painful rectal itch, you're next!"

DrMom said:
But they didn't announce what your appointment was for, did they? ;)

'Amy B......we're ready to take a look at that contagious skin rash of yours' :eek:

taylor92107 said:
'Amy B......we're ready to take a look at that contagious skin rash of yours' :eek:

Yup. That's one of the things that isn't supposed to happen. :)

I noticed, though, that in my previous Dr's office you could hear everything that was being said in the exam rooms because the walls were so thin & the Dr's voice booms. :rolleyes:

excuse my ignorance, but what does HIPPA stand for?

birdie said:
excuse my ignorance, but what does HIPPA stand for?

First I'm gonna bust on you for not using google to find this out. (points and laughs like nelson in the simpsons)

HA HA.

:p

Ok....now a more serious answer....

HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT

it was enacted in 1996 by the clinton administration to help people to be able to move to another health insurance while keeping information private that can be used against them. Now it has lost the portability aspect and is mainly all about privacy concerns....and it caused (and still causes) quite a few headaches in regards to healthcare....it was suppose to speed up the system yet it has dragged it down....by mounds of paperwork.

I've seen a lot of confusion around dr's offices on *what* they can and can't do under HIPAA. As I understood it, you could have a sign in sheet, but all it could say was name, time in, and appt time--or similar non-private information. However, when I went to my new internist last week, they had a sign that said *they* couldn't have a sign-in sheet at all under HIPAA!! We had to write out names (and current meds) on a little post-it note and give it to the receptionist. Now, my husband had been to this doc before and he had to give a list of his meds, but it was on the same post-it note thing--completely separate from the sign-in sheet.

So...did this doc just go overboard in her privacy actions? Misunderstand the law? Or is this what is required? It's the only office I've been to where there was no sign in sheet and a sign by the check-out window that basically said "no loitering."

And has anyone else noticed just how much information is considered "directory information" under the educational privacy acts??!! They can pretty much turn out a school directory with everything except your primary mental illness. Geez...I thought it was bad that I had to "report" a fellow teacher for posting grades using 7 of the 9 digits in student's social security number! (Not even allowed to use the last 4).

Privacy...ugh! Why can't we all just run around naked with our diagnosis tattooed on our butts??

Willow