Hippocratic Oath

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This past Thursday we had our white coat ceremony and we did take an, "oath of commitment" but this was not the traditional Hippocratic Oath. It kind of shocked me.

Now I know that there are many different versions of the oath that are given at different medical schools across the country, but this oath was clearly written by someone else. It had a similar theme..."show respect for the patients entrusted to my care...", "honor the profession and the college...", "show respect..never take advantage"....but it also lacked several improtant themes of the Hippocratic oath such as, "I will neither prescribe nor administer a lethal dose of medicine to any patient even if asked nor counsel any such thing nor perform the utmost respect for every human life from fertilization to natural death and reject abortion that deliberately takes a unique human life."

I thought that the prohibition against euthanasia was a requirement. Am I wrong??? Was this just another version that I was not use to? I am interested in hearing your replys...Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you take the Hippocratic oath at graduation, not at the white coat ceremony. But even then, the D.O. oath is a bit different than the oath the allopaths take, it more stresses the well-rounded nature of our profession. Still the same basic idea though. You'll learn about this in your lectures on the history of medicine.

Thanks oceandocDO,

That is the reason I posted the same thread here as well as in the everyone form. I was wondering if there was a difference at the Osteopathic Medical Schools. So, the oath we took at the white coat ceremony was just an oath of commitment??? Thanks for the info.