HippoEd Peds Board Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this? I am looking for a supplement to go over for the next year or so slowly, just to augment my education and fill in weak spots. I really love PedsRAP so I am inclined to give it a shot but I want to make sure it is comprehensive and in depth. It also comes with 1250+ questions. Can anyone speak to if they are actually board style or how they compare to a more popular question bank like MedStudy?

I have currently done about 5 years of PREP throughout residency and created Anki decks from previous questions. I plan on doing next years PREP as well and want to bank on those for my primary source. I fear that MedStudy just has too many resources to utilize and I will lose interest in the huge book series. I can also get previous years flash cards for much cheaper. It is also way too expensive to use as an "augmenting resource." I obviously haven't yet received this years ITE score report, but last year, I was comfortably above the average for 2nd years so I am not looking to reinvent the wheel.

So are the HippoEd videos helpful? Are they filled with useful information like mnemonics or easy ways to associate things? The review course for residents is $250 so the price seems right. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone used this? I am looking for a supplement to go over for the next year or so slowly, just to augment my education and fill in weak spots. I really love PedsRAP so I am inclined to give it a shot but I want to make sure it is comprehensive and in depth. It also comes with 1250+ questions. Can anyone speak to if they are actually board style or how they compare to a more popular question bank like MedStudy?

I have currently done about 5 years of PREP throughout residency and created Anki decks from previous questions. I plan on doing next years PREP as well and want to bank on those for my primary source. I fear that MedStudy just has too many resources to utilize and I will lose interest in the huge book series. I can also get previous years flash cards for much cheaper. It is also way too expensive to use as an "augmenting resource." I obviously haven't yet received this years ITE score report, but last year, I was comfortably above the average for 2nd years so I am not looking to reinvent the wheel.

So are the HippoEd videos helpful? Are they filled with useful information like mnemonics or easy ways to associate things? The review course for residents is $250 so the price seems right. Thanks everyone.

medstudy is the most similar to the actual exam, based on question type and format.

i bought the hippo resident package. at $250, its a great deal. the videos and short and to the point and its a good study source. the questions were ok. i wouldn't use it as my q- bank, but its good study material. there were a few questions that were not accurate, but that may have changed since they first started
similarly , prep is a great resource; but not similar to the real exam

Looking to see if anyone has any further experience with this as a study source? I have Hippo Ed and Medstudy, but kinda fall asleep/get board with Medstudy. My Q-banks are PREP and NEJM right now.

medstudy is the most similar to the actual exam, based on question type and format.

i bought the hippo resident package. at $250, its a great deal. the videos and short and to the point and its a good study source. the questions were ok. i wouldn't use it as my q- bank, but its good study material. there were a few questions that were not accurate, but that may have changed since they first started
similarly , prep is a great resource; but not similar to the real exam

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the hippoed resident package last year at the beginning of my second year to use as a supplement because my ITE score was not good and wanted to save med study for this year. I didn't find the videos to be very helpful, but have been through most of the questions at this point. I guess I won't really know until I get this year's ITE score. Thinking about it vs Prep reminds me a lot of combank vs uworld. They cover most of the material, the questions are ok, the explanations aren't great but I definitely think it's better than nothing, because I'll use it when I have a few free minutes that would otherwise be wasted. I haven't done medstudy yet and have only done 3 years of prep so far. I just came across board vitals through our hospital's library that is free for us and I would say that board vitals and hippoed are pretty similar so do board vitals if you have access to that for free.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the hippoed resident package last year at the beginning of my second year to use as a supplement because my ITE score was not good and wanted to save med study for this year. I didn't find the videos to be very helpful, but have been through most of the questions at this point. I guess I won't really know until I get this year's ITE score. Thinking about it vs Prep reminds me a lot of combank vs uworld. They cover most of the material, the questions are ok, the explanations aren't great but I definitely think it's better than nothing, because I'll use it when I have a few free minutes that would otherwise be wasted. I haven't done medstudy yet and have only done 3 years of prep so far. I just came across board vitals through our hospital's library that is free for us and I would say that board vitals and hippoed are pretty similar so do board vitals if you have access to that for free.

What did you use as a written source, though?

What did you use as a written source, though?

I got the med study books, they've been pretty good. There's definitely some stuff that I have to go read more about, but it's been helpful incorporating it into my electives.

Reactions: 1 user