Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

histology

Discussion in 'Step I' started by smalley, Apr 27, 2007.

1. smalley

Resident [Any Field]
    is there any quick review for histology or should it be altogether left?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. basupran

basupran ortho, study, cars, lift

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Smalley, there weren't any specific histology questions on my exam. But..... without histology, path is hard. So, if you can understand path slides, and know your stains (ie gfap-astrocytes), you will be ok. All that matters in histology ties to pathology. Looking at a microtubule, where is the defect in X disease.

My exam had a question where the concept was along these lines:
    man had stroke, stain of brain tissue shows increase in gfap. why?

so, if you remember your histo, gfap is for astrocytes/ependymal cells, so pt has a reactive astrocytosis.

Hope this helps.

4. drguy22

drguy22 1K Member

Attending Physician
    just a quick questions basu...would u consider that one of the tought Q's on the exam of one of the easier..or in between...

5. basupran

Resident [Any Field]
    Easy if you knew the stain, upper average if you didn't know what in hell the letters GFAP meant, and had to deduce reactive astrocytosis based on the history.

6. drguy22

drguy22 1K Member

Attending Physician
    were a majority of the questions this level of difficulty? and what did u think of kaplan and USMLEworld...easier or harder than them?

7. basupran

Resident [Any Field]
    UW was harder, and I didn't like QBank so I stopped using it. I agree with most everyone about UW being a great question source, but I do have some problems with their ridiculous anti-piracy measures. I regret not doing more questions, but here is why. I fluctuated on my blocks, around 30% fluctation! I started to panic, so I decided to stop doing questions, or tackle them when I was ready. Well, I never became 'ready', and stopped doing questions. Then, a few days before, I decided I wanted to do some questions to see where I was headed, so I picked up my copy of First and Q & A, and I felt good while doing them because I was getting the right answers:+ reinforcement. Not a good idea!

The thing with the USMLE is that they throw in some ridiculous stuff, and all that ridiculous stuff looks important when you have been staring at that damn monitor for some time.

They didn't ask me direct questions on my exam (for the most part), and they loved to throw around extraneous detail. Here is an exaggerated question, and remember, this is when you are burnt out:

A 21 year old, nulliparous female who had her first menses at 7, and had tanner stage 5 development at age8, with a maternal history of breast cancer and a maternal uncle with hyperhistrocackism comes to you suffering from clitoromegaly. She smokes 10 packs of cigs a day, drinks 2 bottle of jdaniels, uses oral contraceptives, takes phenytoin, rifampin, and takes cycolphosphamide. Upon inspection, and after reviewing her medical history, you see a 400% increase in hood:hungover:ome size. The patient proceeds to complain of discomfort with shaving. initially, she thought that it was due to switching from barbasol ultra sensitive to barbasol for a manly man, but switching back did not improve the situation. Upon further inspection, you notice ring shaped lesion on her face with a depressed border and raised edges. Which of the following in her history predisposes her to ___________.

Soooooooo you think to yourself, wtf just happened? I was just reading about some chick shaving, and now I have to think about x disease, and the predisposing factors. OK, got it.... I remember what increases the risk of this disease! Ok, well it was 1, 2, 8, and 7. Good, let me look at the answer choices:

A-1
    B-2
    C-3
    D-1,003,998 ^8,999,992
    E-123
    F-7

F&*#$!!!! Is it A, B, or F?!?!?!?!?!

I am grossly exaggerating, but the point is that there are a bunch of questions that are like that. I guess the NBME knows what they are doing, I mean we are going to be doctors. During residency, we will have to work long hours, and we will have patients telling us random things, and we will have to pick which points are pertinent, etc.

8. goodies

goodies Member

Resident [Any Field]
    lol. :D thats funny, but it makes me want to cry at the same time.

9. goodies

goodies Member

Resident [Any Field]
    lol. :D thats funny, but it makes me want to cry at the same time... haven't taken it yet.

10. basupran

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't be scared of it, I was exaggerating (sp?). Point is, the test messes with your mind and you can't let it get to you. I wish you the best of luck.

11. merovingian

merovingian Member

im having trouble with hem/onc, would you advise to just do hem/onc questions from UW, or should I really try to understand it by reading first then doing questions? were there a lot of hem/onc questions on test? thanks!

so in general, you think doing tons of UW questions will be more beneficial than just doing a ton of reading?

12. Raja Babu

I took it yesterday. Heres what my heme/onc looked like
    Pedigrees for hemophilia, von willebrands
    ITP, TTP, DIC
    Multiple myeloma
    p53 roll in apoptosis
    anti-neos (know what treats what, esp. breast, colon, prostate, brain, non-Hodg, Hodg, testicular)
    asprin, heparin, warfarin, tylenol
    DVT (oral contras + smoking = a no no)
    sickle cell patient-infections

13. drguy22

drguy22 1K Member

Attending Physician
    hmmmm......this looks SOOOO much easier than kaplan!!! or UW!

14. pugsly

pugsly Junior Member

hey raja babu and basupran

how were the anat and bchem questions on ure guys exam????
    a lotta pathways? mri, ct???

15. basupran

Resident [Any Field]
    Raja Babu is right, though I had more questions on anti-neoplastic side effects.

Pugsly, there were not that many anatomy q's, less than 5% (*not counting neuroanatomy). There were CT's and MRI's on my exam, with some of them asking me to identify structures. Biochem: I had a question on nucleotide structure, but it wasn't that bad. I literally had to identify a nucleotide based on the structure. Pathways: FA was pretty much right, you need to know metabolite buildup, and key regulation. I had about 2-3 q's on the lysosomal storage diseases, and 1 or 2 on glycogen storage diseases.

Good luck.