Hiv/aids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbloggs

jbloggs
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but I'm still curious...why does HIV only attack mucous membranes? Pathophysiologically speaking, why can't epithelial cells take up the HIV virions just like vaginal squamous cells might in sexual intercourse?

Members don't see this ad.

jbloggs said:
This may be a stupid question but I'm still curious...why does HIV only attack mucous membranes? Pathophysiologically speaking, why can't epithelial cells take up the HIV virions just like vaginal squamous cells might in sexual intercourse?

HIV-1 attacks CD4 T-lymphocytes for the most part. If a cell doesn't express the CD4 receptor, it won't get infected (well, that's what you'll need to know for the boards at least). HIV-1 also uses either the CCR5 or CXCR4 chemokine receptor as a co-receptor for infection (R5, R4 viruses respectively). So cells that express CD4: T-lymphocytes (T-helper type), certain macrophages, and glial cells in the CNS. Epithelial cells don't express the CD4 receptor and will not get infected.

--------------------------------
Don't get fvcked by the Institvte

in addition to the above info CD4 receptors r on many cells .... thus this disease is not limited to one system.......
Do u knw the full form of CD???????????

CD = cluster of differentiation

apara said:
in addition to the above info CD4 receptors r on many cells .... thus this disease is not limited to one system.......
Do u knw the full form of CD???????????

jbloggs said:

One becomes infected through the mucous membranes because the epithelium there is thin, and prone to injury, which will give the virus access to the blood to infect CD4+ cells. This makes for a lethal combination. Places like the skin are protected by many layers of keratinized cells, and hence are less susceptible. As an example, this is why uncircumcised men are more likely to become infected than circumcised ones.

hope this helps,
Arnie