HIV dementia lab values

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the Rx q I did presented a case of HIV dementia and labs info of increased protein and IgG. Why would you get high IgG and protein in CSF if infection was not involved?

Members don't see this ad.

Inflammation plays a role in HIV dementia I believe. Something about HIV infected macrophages crossing the BBB and going into the brain and causing inflammation.

How high were they? HIV can present in so many crazy ways with all sorts of lab values and it is an infection in the brain and all over the body... My guess would be the CSF values were there to not give you the diagnosis of HIV dementia, but allow you to rule out bacterial meningitis which would give you very characteristic lab findings.

Reactions: 1 user
The q just said elevated IgG and 72g/dl of protein. I was tempted to pick one of the infectious cause, but the answer was HIV dementia. Thanks for the input.

The q just said elevated IgG and 72g/dl of protein. I was tempted to pick one of the infectious cause, but the answer was HIV dementia. Thanks for the input.

Yeah thats a viral picture so a virus like HIV would be a possible answer. HIV is one of those things that is always an option in questions.