HIV meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Markus1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need for some assistance regarding a medical incident.

A friend of mine is a dental hygienist who recently was stuck by in instrument that is placed in the patient’s mouth to measure the depth of cavity. The instrument is not very sharp but with minimal force it can puncture the skin. The patient had some lacerations and ulcers in his mouth which maybe indicative of HIV infection but the patient denied any disease. In short, the instrument was originally used on the patient and was left unused for approximately 20 minutes and later was picked up by the hygienist to re-insert in the patient’s mouth but before placing it in the patient’s mouth it stuck my friend which made a small puncture through the latex glove and into the skin. The puncture was very minute and he forced it to bleed and washed it with soap and water a few minutes after the incident.

My question is, is there a chance that my friend maybe contaminated by any viruses e.g. HIV? I find this to be highly unlikely but wanted a medical opinion.

My friend was prescribed the following meds just for precautions Crixivan 2400 mg a day and Combivir 150-300 mg. 2x daily (anti HIV meds). Is this going overboard or not? My friend was prescribed these meds for 1 mo and he is young and in good health. Are there any long term side effects if only used for 1 month?

Any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

This forum is not intended to dispense personal medical advice to laypeople.

If your friend has concerns about the appropriateness of his treatment, he or she should seek the opinion of another physician. For questions about the medications he or she is taking, the dispensing pharmacist should be consulted.

Also, posting the same item on multiple forums is not permitted on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.