HIV protection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haokiet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this discussion is for educational purposes onlii..

i read around that using condom can protect ppl from
the hiv virus, and that healthcare professionals are
trying to spread the word across the globe.. recently,
they are advocating the sales of condoms in prison cells
to help contain the viral infection as there is an increase
hiv infections for ppl behind bars..

my question is, do condoms really protect ppl from hiv?
i remember vaguely that my biology professor said no,
and a physician i did internship with has the same response.
so what gives? does condom protect from hiv or no?

Members don't see this ad.

maybe just because I'm a product of this generation, but I've never heard that condoms don't protect against HIV.

i think it is safe to use condom when coitioning. hypothesis is that condom'quality is OK

Members don't see this ad :)
yes they do, it sounds like your biology professor and this physician were GROSSLY misinformed. What institution were located in? Local culture could have played a role.

Perhaps they meant nothing is 100% foolproof.

thanks for the info giga,
would u know about the pore size in condoms?
is it possible that the hiv virus has a smaller molecular
size than the condom can filter, making it ineffective?
im thinking if the virus is too small then it can pass
right through the condom and infect the person..

but obviously if healthcare providers worldwide believe
its safe, then i must agree with them..

thanks for the info giga,
would u know about the pore size in condoms?
is it possible that the hiv virus has a smaller molecular
size than the condom can filter, making it ineffective?
im thinking if the virus is too small than it can pass
right through the condom and infect the person..

but obviously if healthcare providers worldwide believe
its safe, then i must agree with them..

I know the lambskin condoms have pores small enough that viral particles can pass through but sperm cannot.

I believe this is not an issue for latex or the polyurethane condoms

I remember in 8th grade health class I was told that HIV:condom::sand:fishing net. That same person (in a public school, mind you) told us that masturbation causes blindness. This was in 2001.

From the CDC's website: http://www.cdc.gov/condomeffectiveness/latex.htm

HIV / AIDS
HIV, the virus that causes AIDS
Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in preventing the sexual transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

AIDS is, by far, the most deadly sexually transmitted disease, and considerably more scientific evidence exists regarding condom effectiveness for prevention of HIV infection than for other STDs. The body of research on the effectiveness of latex condoms in preventing sexual transmission of HIV is both comprehensive and conclusive. In fact, the ability of latex condoms to prevent transmission of HIV has been scientifically established in “real-life” studies of sexually active couples as well as in laboratory studies.

Laboratory studies have demonstrated that latex condoms provide an essentially impermeable barrier to particles the size of STD pathogens.

Theoretical basis for protection. Latex condoms cover the penis and provide an effective barrier to exposure to secretions such as semen and vaginal fluids, blocking the pathway of sexual transmission of HIV infection.

Epidemiologic studies that are conducted in real-life settings, where one partner is infected with HIV and the other partner is not, demonstrate conclusively that the consistent use of latex condoms provides a high degree of protection.

masterbation causes blindness????????????????????? :eek:

we are all in trouble now

*shaking my head at the conservative south and midwest*

masterbation causes blindness????????????????????? :eek:

Well, I can think of a way masturbation can cause blindness.... (use your imagination, sorry if you threw up your lunch, haha).

Well, I can think of a way masturbation can cause blindness.... (use your imagination, sorry if you threw up your lunch, haha).

Don't even have to use your imagination. Some authors have found a correlation between HSVII (genital herpes) infection in right handed patients with right eye herpetic eye disease, and vice versa in left handed persons.:rolleyes:

Had a patient about two months ago with history of HSVII, secondary unilateral herpetic uveitis with glaucoma, best vision in the affected eye was 20/40ths. Not blind, but definitely impaired vision.

I remember talking to a pharmacist who specialized in infectious disease about HIV during my shadowing experience, and apparently it is possible to ward off "infection" (you can be infected, but have the immune system destroy it - a combination of factors, including innate immunity, even without the genetic CD-4 receptor malfunction ) after initial exposure if you treat with a strong regiment of antivirals immediately after possible exposure. Once your body develops antibodies though, it's too late and the virus has already attached to its host immune cells.

I remember talking to a pharmacist who specialized in infectious disease about HIV during my shadowing experience, and apparently it is possible to ward off "infection" (you can be infected, but have the immune system destroy it - a combination of factors, including innate immunity, even without the genetic CD-4 receptor malfunction ) after initial exposure if you treat with a strong regiment of antivirals immediately after possible exposure. Once your body develops antibodies though, it's too late and the virus has already attached to its host immune cells.

that's the theory behind the heavy antiviral regimen for needle stick exposures.