HKU interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOLARity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to HKU for post graduate in Dentistry? Do they conduct interviews before admission? Can anyone tell me some of the questions they ask? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

I applied for Undergraduate entry in the 2007 BDS program. I don't know about the Postgraduate programs, but for the Undergraduate course, yes, there is a 15 minute interview in English (they simply 'ask' you in the interview if you can speak Cantonese).

They basically don't even ask much. There's a panel of 3 professors sitting in front of you, and each one asks one question or so.

First of all, they ask you to "tell us about yourself".

They then go onto asking you (well for the undergraduate program at least) "why do you want to study Dentistry, and what do you like about Hong Kong?"

They also asked me if I was studying another degree, and I told them yes, so they asked me what it was, so if you're wanting to apply for Postgraduate entry, I'd say they might ask something like "what was ur previous degree? why do u want to do dentistry now?" (or something like that)

Then comes very brief questions like
"Do you plan to practice in Hong Kong?"
"Do you have Hong Kong Permanent ID?"
"Do you speak Cantonese?"

I don't know if it's the same for all candidates, but for my interview, they assumed different roles where one professor was nasty and challenging and shaking his head constantly, the second was challenging but not nasty, and the third one was more silent and neutral. I guess maybe they wanted to see how well the candidate functions under pressure.

I took the chance, and flew over to take the interview, because I really want to do Dentistry - if it's really what u want to do, why not go for it. And it's a short interview, so don't spend time looking heaps deep into really hard questions they could ask, because the interview is really short, and they'll prob just ask basic questions like the ones I typed above.

Hope that helps, and best wishes!

wj =)

Last edited:
hi wj,

Thanks for the infos on the interview. I was just wondering why wouldn't you want to take a dental degree in Australia? I mean it is easier that way right?

In HKU I could see that they are very strict in admission of students (non local) but I don't know with the locals. I hope by now you did already got your admission offer.

goodluck:) BDS 2011!:hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Molarity,

I did apply for 4 Dental Schools in Australia, but didn't get into any of them, unfortunately. I will apply for them again this year, or maybe Graduate Entry Dent Schools later.

Good luck if u do have an interview at HKU. =]

wj

Last edited:
hi wj,

Thanks for the infos on the interview. I was just wondering why wouldn't you want to take a dental degree in Australia? I mean it is easier that way right?

In HKU I could see that they are very strict in admission of students (non local) but I don't know with the locals. I hope by now you did already got your admission offer.

goodluck:) BDS 2011!:hardy:

Why would you say that doing a dental degree in Australia would be easier than HKU?

For extra information, I really don't think the interview is that harsh and certainly not a game designed to catch you out or to upset you. Basically universities grant u an interview because they approve of your academic capacity-at least on paper form. so I guess it would be grossly unfair to overlook their effort in reviewing each candidate.

So I recently had my HKU undergraduate interview precisely 5 days ago. It was a non-jupas interview as I do not study in mainstream HK schools, but I AM a local and a holder of HKID. Basically the interview lasted for about 10-15 mins and they started off asking general questions like self introduction, why dentistry. etc. But prepare for some challenging questions towards the end. I guess it would be imprudent to post those challenging questions asked in my case as the context of an interview differs from person to person. Plus if you sound too rehearsed I don't think you would leave a particular good impression upon the admission panel as they would thing you're trying too hard to impress. Basically think twice before answering every question and be honest and open about your response. For example in my case they asked me about whether I have seen a dentist in practice before, I said no and explained the reason. In this case this is a much wiser move because if I had answered 'yes I have seen a dentist in practice' they would probably ask you some follow up questions. Then I would be like ''ooooo. erm... I cant rememberrrr'. That wouldnt leave a very great impression would it? :oops: Anyway,, dress formal and be courteous towards the admission panel.

hey guys,

i applied for dentistry at hku as a late submission, but now is 18th june... and i check my status and im 'still under consideration'.... is that normal?

thanks

hey guys,

i applied for dentistry at hku as a late submission, but now is 18th june... and i check my status and im 'still under consideration'.... is that normal?

thanks

How late did you apply?

applied in march. they told me last submissions for late admission is mid april.

applied in march. they told me last submissions for late admission is mid april.

I think you may have to wait for the next round of interviews. The first round of interviews for nonjupas and internationals were between April 18 - 28th. Applicants around were invited on March 30. They started offering places on May 3rd.

I think your chances of getting in will be slim (because half if not most of places are already offered). Don't quote my words but I think there's a second round of interviews in july. (last year, invites were out late july). Of course, you also need excellent academics, etc etc.

I am an international student who applied past the deadline (due to unfortunate misunderstanding :( ) to HKU dental (undergraduate) and had nearly given up any chance of getting in. I checked the status multiple times and was "still considered" until quite recently when I was offered an interview July 13th by some miracle. Do many students still get rejected even after they are offered an interview? I have no ID, can't speak Cantonese (although i can speak Mandarin and can most definitely be able to learn cantonese in less than a year), and applied late. Terrible combination, but I am most eager to get into the dental program. I am going to try my best to show this passion I have in the interview but what is its real purpose? I read above that they don't really ask you anything very significant or challenging. Is the interview for people "90% accepted just checking whether you're sane" or for people "50%ish considered but just checking out who they are". I am very worried that I won't be accepted and I am just thinking hard whether there is anything left for me to do to increase this chance. I had even written a letter to the dean before about my dream and passion etc. (which could have helped them give me this precious chance for an interview) and that is how desperate I was and still am... Also "if" one gets admitted do they want the final transcript and when?

Hello The Explorer, Thanks for your information.
Regarding the date of offering, could you pls provide more info, e.g. do you know someone has already got the offer of BDS? As I have already read another piece of info from another forum that "the results will all be released by end July"...

hi! i was wondering if a degree in dentistry obtained from an institution outside of the US [eg. HKU] will still be recognized in da US... to rephrase what i meant by that... if i get a degree in dentistry in HKU, can I still practice dentistry in other countries like... the US?

hi! i was wondering if a degree in dentistry obtained from an institution outside of the US [eg. HKU] will still be recognized in da US... to rephrase what i meant by that... if i get a degree in dentistry in HKU, can I still practice dentistry in other countries like... the US?

The US does not accept degrees from other countries, with the exception of canada.
every state has diff laws but in general, its not possible.