HM to MD

Started by davydoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

davydoc

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question to all Corpsmen (active, reserve, retired, etc) out there. I'm active duty at a shore command right now. I have all the intention of going to medical school after my enlistment is up (Jan '13). I'm currently taking courses at a local C.C. attempting to knock out my Gen Ed/Pre-Req's. My question is, what do I do next? After I leave here, its sea duty or c-school for me, and from what I've been told, it's extremely difficult to go to school during that time. Also, a lot of the schools cater to active duty and offer bachelor’s degrees are schools online or that don't have a major that interests me. I want to go to a local 4 year university but the UC/CSU system (I'm stationed in San Diego) requires a minimum of 60 hours plus certain gen-ed courses in order to be accepted. I won't have that for another 2 years or so. Finally, if I were to be going to a 4 year university, I would need to be going night school because of working throughout the day. Is it even possible for me to complete a bachelors degree at a local 4 year institution, if so, how? If your a former corpsman and are in med-school or a MD/DO, how did you do it? I'm not looking at any STA-21 packages because I have no intention on staying in. Any input would help so much.
 
stick with the CC and get a degree if possible. it doesn't matter what your Bachelor's is in (I think you have to have a major), as long as your fulfill the pre med requirements. AAMCOS/AAMCAS doesn't discriminate, an A's an A. if you're hard up about getting a degree from UC (I am from san diego too) then at the last minute transfer all your CC stuff, take a few courses and get the degree. a lot of my friend from southwestern college did that. make sure you check with UCSD or SDSU on what the time limit/credits are. also get your military MOS credits transferred. if not through CC or UCSD/SDSU. sometimes you gotta find out who they'll accept credits from, then back track to the place that'll take yours. it can be a little costly, but 30 credits, is 30 credits. you automatically get 7 for PE requirements...LOL.