hme school degree to college

Started by HSG
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HSG

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I get a accredited home school diploma can i still got to college school?
 
Home school high school diplomas should be equivalent to a regular high school diplomas. However, if you have doubts you should contanct your school district and ask them. You might also try contacting colleges that you are interested in to see if they will accept your diploma.
 
Call the colleges that you are interested in and ask them. You may need to take the GED as well for some, and probably the SAT/ACT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Worst case scenario, you could always do what I did. I dropped out of high school when I was 16, and immediately applied to community college (who will take anybody over a certain age.) After earning my associate's degree, I had no problems whatsoever when I applied to my local university.
 
Speaking of that, some CC's have a direct admissions program to certain universities/colleges, might try to keep an eye out for that if you need to go that route.
 
If I get a accredited home school diploma can i still got to college school?

It depends on the college you want to apply to. I was homeschool all my life, up until college. I took the SAT and applyed to The Ohio State University. They said since my SAT was high enough they didn't need me to take the GED or anything else. So, make a list of schools you would like to apply to and call them.
 
I too was homeschooled all the way through, from 2nd grade to senior year high school. As was mentioned before, different schools likely have different requirements, but in general, as long as you take the required classes (ie 4 english, 3 science, 3 math, 3 social studies, etc) and do well on the ACT or SAT, you should be absolutely fine. There's also a really great book my mom and I used, called the "Christian homeschool guidance counselor's manual" or something of the like that's very informative about the college preparations and admissions process -- it helped me get a full scholarship to a highly respected liberal arts university 🙂 It's certainly not for everyone, but homeschooling can be absolutely amazing.