• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Hmmm...is it a bad idea...

MissMary

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2004
New York
    to ask a professor you had for a one semester summer course for a recommendation? I have several recommendations, but only one of them is from a Sci professor. From what I read, I might need to have two. I have already graduated but won't be applying for med school until next summer. I can't imagine asking one of my prior sci professors for a rec, so should I consider taking a course over the summer and getting a rec from them? (Because I work full-time and will be taking the MCAT in April, I don't intend to take any courses during the Spring semester)

IAMS

in the scheme of things
    10+ Year Member
    Jul 14, 2004
    SF, CA
    1. Attending Physician
      I asked a prof who i had only had for 1 semester for a letter, he said he wasn't comfortable writing letters unless he's had me for a full year - so I took another class from him, and he wrote me a really good one. Never hurts to ask, in my opinion - so go for it.

Moto

RHA
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Aug 10, 2005
      1. Medical Student
        Ask him. One of my sci prof I had for only one semester was more than happy to write the letter, but another told me he didn't know enough about me (even though I b.s. his head off for an entire year)

About the Ads

KMG365

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Sep 21, 2005
        1. Medical Student
          Yeah, I'd ask. I asked a prof I had over the summer for orgo and he said he'd love to. I think many profs from courses like this know why you're there, and they're used to being asked.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.