Hmmm...is it a bad idea...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissMary

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to ask a professor you had for a one semester summer course for a recommendation? I have several recommendations, but only one of them is from a Sci professor. From what I read, I might need to have two. I have already graduated but won't be applying for med school until next summer. I can't imagine asking one of my prior sci professors for a rec, so should I consider taking a course over the summer and getting a rec from them? (Because I work full-time and will be taking the MCAT in April, I don't intend to take any courses during the Spring semester)

Members don't see this ad.

I asked a prof who i had only had for 1 semester for a letter, he said he wasn't comfortable writing letters unless he's had me for a full year - so I took another class from him, and he wrote me a really good one. Never hurts to ask, in my opinion - so go for it.

Ask him. One of my sci prof I had for only one semester was more than happy to write the letter, but another told me he didn't know enough about me (even though I b.s. his head off for an entire year)

Members don't see this ad :)
ask him. i went to a professor i had a class with once a week three years ago, he tortured me for 2 hours and wrote a great letter. if he hesitates then dont use it.

Yeah, I'd ask. I asked a prof I had over the summer for orgo and he said he'd love to. I think many profs from courses like this know why you're there, and they're used to being asked.

but the question is, does he know enough about you to write you a good LOR from so little time?