Hmmmm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All the sudden there are over half a dozen immediate path job openings in the NYC area. Given the massive number of trainees in the area, have people finally started simply walking away from high cost of living areas for good??

Is there a fundamental change occurring?

And, why the hell are there always tons of jobs in Penn?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 more jobs in Genzyme just popped up in NYC as well...as I said, I think people are starting to flee from the NYC, Boston, SF and LA metro areas now.

All the sudden there are over half a dozen immediate path job openings in the NYC area. Given the massive number of trainees in the area, have people finally started simply walking away from high cost of living areas for good??

Is there a fundamental change occurring?

Maybe the job market is better than you think it is, or maybe a lot of the people who are not able to find jobs are not good candidates. I dunno. Perhaps all those people who were supposed to retire over the last ten years are finally retiring!

Maybe the job market is better than you think it is, or maybe a lot of the people who are not able to find jobs are not good candidates. I dunno. Perhaps all those people who were supposed to retire over the last ten years are finally retiring!

My data says the overall number of job openings has been fairly constant, but the location has dramatically shifted from openings in the midwest and south to Northeast, Florida and California. Im betting housing is a huge factor.

I wouldn't be surprised. These areas are getting less friendly to those with average to high-middle incomes.

That one is easy. Because the pay there is hella-crappy, thats why! Like most over-rated academic centers, they always have a high degree of turnover.

As to the rest of the east coast, I dunno, probably coincidence or something. The market in my neck of the woods doesn't seem vastly different these days.

I would normally agree with the whole it is just a cyclical process, and the addendum that most academic places post their jobs in a cluster, but this is extreme...

http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/Jobs/jobs.html#newjobsposted

7 count them, 7 new job posting at OSU.
What did half the department quit? some sort of retirement bomb go off?
:smuggrin:

I would normally agree with the whole it is just a cyclical process, and the addendum that most academic places post their jobs in a cluster, but this is extreme...

I just saw that. Something crazy is happening at OSU. Definitely HUGE red flags unless there is a very very good explanation. Anyone at OSU here??

It's probably an expansion - like how Pittsburgh seems to be looking for tons of people too. I know Cynthia Magro left and they have a need for lots of cytopaths in particular as well.

It's probably an expansion - like how Pittsburgh seems to be looking for tons of people too. I know Cynthia Magro left and they have a need for lots of cytopaths in particular as well.

Yes, Magro left and went to Cornell. And I know someone who went to Cornell for dermpath fellowships and couldn't stand Magro so he left.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard new chair and new emphasis on basic research with extramural funding requirements.

A friend of mine was a resident there a few years ago. He talked to some residents that said that even more faculty are leaving recently.

A friend of mine was a resident there a few years ago. He talked to some residents that said that even more faculty are leaving recently.

any reason given as to why faculty appear to be leaving ohio state? i asked because a friend of mine is set to start residency there soon, and it's also a program i'm looking into for next year.

I just saw that. Something crazy is happening at OSU. Definitely HUGE red flags unless there is a very very good explanation. Anyone at OSU here??
what is going on here? two more faculty are bailing....

Who is gonna lead this beeeyatch. Any residents at the OSU on this forum.

Heard you guys just lost your AP director. HUGE red flags or what

Im curious, how do many faculty left OSU? Is there anyone still there to turn out the lights? We have an energy shortage you know.

I thought a lot of the new job postings were due to department expansion. Some people left, but it's not chaos.

regarding job openings, please translate this opening for me:

The Practice

- Well-known, Established Pathology Group of 16

seeks Experienced Surgical Pathologist

- Bread and Butter Practice

- Service Area of 500,000

- Starting Salary $250k Potential

- 6 Weeks Vacation, 2 Weeks CME with Allowance

- Full Benefits and Full Relocation

Community

- Metro Area Located on Lake Erie

- Ranked Top Home Values of all US Cities.

- Theater, Symphony and Cultural Events

- International Airport

- An Hour Drive to Three Other Major Metro

- Golfing and Country Clubs

- Many Outdoor Activities

WHat does "bread and butter" mean? What does "starting salary $250,000 potential" mean? Does that mean "starting salary $125,000, but if you are willing to sell time-shares on the side, you can make a quarter mil"?

Judd

And another one:

DAYTON, OHIO (USA). AP/CP BC/BE individual sought to join a prosperous 8 person private group due to practice growth. Special qualification in cytopathology strongly preferred. Diversified practice handles approximately 45,000 surgical specimens, 90,000 gyn cytology specimens and 4,000 non-gyn specimens. Generous benefits package includes 4 weeks funded CME, 4 weeks vacation. Position offers ownership track with investment opportunity in a regional reference laboratory performing over 3M tests per year.

2/3rds of their tissue is gyn cytology. In 15 years when the HPV vaccine is in full effect, what will this practice do for income. Will they have to bring the surgical specimens home to feed to the kids?

Judd

First, 90,000 gyn cytologies affects cytotechs more (unless you don't have a cytotech which is unlikely if you see 90,000). I am not sure what the percentage of paps that are reviewed is but it is probably much less than 25%. Pap smears are not big money makers anyway. And in 15 years when the HPV vaccine is in full effect, tens of millions of women will still be getting pap smears and they will still be abnormal, because not everyone is getting the vaccine, it isn't going to be 100% effective, etc etc.

Bread and butter generally means you see everything common, but you aren't going to see whipples and laryngectomies or very many sarcomas. You will see GI biopsies, small resections, skins, etc. And probably cover some CP stuff. Starting salary probably depends to some extent on your experience and qualifications, but it is unlikely to mean a whole lot less than the posted rate for someone fresh out of training. It's probably a decent job and they want to see if they can attract good candidates.

I'm guessing Toledo.

regarding job openings, please translate this opening for me:
- Metro Area Located on Lake Erie

- International Airport

- An Hour Drive to Three Other Major Metro

WHat does "bread and butter" mean? What does "starting salary $250,000 potential" mean? Does that mean "starting salary $125,000, but if you are willing to sell time-shares on the side, you can make a quarter mil"?

Judd

I can't even figure out where they are (it isn't in there, but the ad says somewhere it is in Ohio.) (three metro areas? What like Akron/canton counts?)

Bread and butter means Appy, gi bx, prostate Bx, etc etc
I take starting salary potential means you start 175-180 tops (unless you have experience) with potential increase to 250ish over say three years. But that's just a guess...