1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. charmedgrad

charmedgrad New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So i found out that i didnt get into emory last night :( :( and the rejection has really reduced my morale. I still have applications out there but i dont know if my chances for any of them are good.
    Should i just forget about grad school and get a job as a research assistant for a while... maybe then my application will be more competitive.
    :scared:
    Opinions please.
    thanks

2. poppytart

poppytart strawberry that is
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi there! Cheer up! As you said, you have other applications out there that you are still waiting on. What would be useful to you is if you can pinpoint why you may have been rejected to Emory. Is it because you did not have enough experience etc etc? If your heart is set on getting into an mph program, I would definitely try again. In the meantime, keep your head up bc you may get accepted into one of the other schools! Good luck! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. southernexport

2+ Year Member

I'd say this, if your heart is set on Emory, or someplace else that you don't make, and you visit and aren't into the places you do get in, there's something to be said for taking a year or two to really get some quality experience and beef up the resume.

I'll say this. I didn't put enough work into my law school applications and adding to the resume in the year before I applied. As a result, I missed out on my dream school, but was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the place I ended up. It worked out for the best, and before applying for MPH, I learned my lesson and really focused on some good extras onto my resume: journal publication, better grades than undergrad when I wasn't quite serious enough, and more school specific essays on the applications themselves. We'll see if it gets me into my dream school here, but I've certainly had good luck so far in the process.

Bonus that any income from another year working will reduce student loans and help you out in the long run.

All that I guess adds up to nothing. If you NEED to be at Emory/wherever else, I guess I'd say take a year, but give your other schools a look before making that decision. You never know who'll surprise you.

Best of luck.

4. OP
    OP
    charmedgrad

charmedgrad New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks guys for your responses, I really appreciate it.:)

5. swemory2007

2+ Year Member

I really wouldn't worry about it. I, too, got rejected from Emory for an Epidemiology MPH but have been accepted at Johns Hopkins, Michigan, Columbia, Yale, Univ. of Washington, Univ. of Minnesota, and Tulane University. Just because one doesn't accept you doesn't mean the others won't!

6. Coclean

Coclean Field Rat
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    WOW! you got in all those places and Emory no??? Nice to know actually....I only applied to Emory in my app year!

7. swemory2007

2+ Year Member

I am, however, a current undergrad (as the name may indicate), so perhaps they don't like taking their own, or are trying to become more diversified or something. However, if anyone has any questions about Emory, I can try to answer them.

8. OP
    OP
    charmedgrad

charmedgrad New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wow, one would think it would be the other way round ( them taking their own first)

9. jasmine2018

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Actually, no. Many, many programs refuse to take their own students. Often times, it's highly encouraged to diversify your education so being at the same school where you apply for grad is not necessarily a good thing.