HMMWV fuel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Years ago, I guy I know was saying that you could put ANYTHING into a humvee, and it would run. He said diesel, gasoline, old motor oil, kerosene, jet fuel, whatever you had - fair enough. However, when he said you could cut whatever fuel with water, that's when I though "bull****", knowing how a diesel operates.

This came to mind today, and I tried to find out online if it was true. I can't find it.

Any info?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to change out the filters for the appropriate fuel - which means you have to have the filters on hand. I think most HMMWV's are running on JP-8 instead of diesel now.

Apollyon said:
Years ago, I guy I know was saying that you could put ANYTHING into a humvee, and it would run. He said diesel, gasoline, old motor oil, kerosene, jet fuel, whatever you had - fair enough. However, when he said you could cut whatever fuel with water, that's when I though "bull****", knowing how a diesel operates.

This came to mind today, and I tried to find out online if it was true. I can't find it.

Any info?

I can tell you the water thing is bs. One of my privates in Iraq poured a 5-gallon can of water into the fuel tank, thinking it was fuel. I'll give him a little break as it was night and he was tired (read complacent), but it didn't take long for the engine to go to ****. We had to drain the fuel tank and replace a seal.

Members don't see this ad :)
roboyce said:
I can tell you the water thing is bs. One of my privates in Iraq poured a 5-gallon can of water into the fuel tank, thinking it was fuel. I'll give him a little break as it was night and he was tired (read complacent), but it didn't take long for the engine to go to ****. We had to drain the fuel tank and replace a seal.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Yeah, water and a diesel (or other fuel) =/= mix. That pesky heat of fusion (or is it vaporization?) will get you every time.

I don't know . . . my PSG put in regular unleaded in one of them (national guard) and the mechanics were pretty pissed about it afterwards. Of course, we did get where we needed to go . . .