HMS vs Hopkins vs Yale vs UCSF vs UCLA

• Thread starter AnonyMoose Undecided
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

AnonyMoose Undecided

I feel incredibly fortunate (and surprised) to find myself in the position of choosing between some amazing schools. This app cycle has been the most insane emotional rollercoaster, and I am so grateful to now be on the other side with some awesome options to consider. I’m having trouble narrowing down these options, and I’d really appreciate it if you guys would lend me your advice/wisdom as I make my decision. Thanks so much!! For some background info, I’m from CA (NorCal), would like to go into academic medicine (specialty undecided), and am at the Unit Loan level for all schools in terms of financial aid.

HMS

Pros:
  • Loved the students/faculty that I met on interview day
  • Spoken to many current students, who seem super happy
  • Limitless clinical and research opportunities
  • Amazing hospital system w/ diversity of patients
  • P/F pre-clinical grades, possibly moving towards a partially P/F system for core clinical grades as well
  • No AOA (less internal competition, more collaboration)
  • Lots of job ops in Boston for SO
  • I love Boston, so does SO
  • Lots of friends/great support network in and around Boston
  • Honestly just so in love with this place

Cons:
  • About 10k more per year than my cheapest option
  • Not in CA, might be harder to match in CA?

JHU

Pros:
  • Incredible resources, in both clinical and basic science (probably equal to HMS)
  • Faculty and potential mentors that I met seemed amazing
  • Great hospital system w/ possibly even more diverse patients
  • P/F pre-clinical grades
  • Cheapest option by about 10k

Cons:
  • Fewer job ops for SO, would have to look in DC or NY
  • Don’t love Baltimore
  • Students seemed somewhat less happy than at other schools?
  • Internal ranking and AOA, got a sense that there was more internal competition
  • Not much of a support network/not many friends near here

Yale

Pros:
  • Love the Yale System, awesome collaborative/warm environment
  • Students seem very happy
  • My second cheapest option, about 5k cheaper per year than HMS
  • Excellent research and mentorship opportunities
  • Diverse patients
  • It seems that a lot of people matched in CA in recent years

Cons:
  • Hospital system somewhat weaker than my other options
  • Absolutely no job ops for my SO here, sigh
  • No support system in New Haven, though a short (but pricey) plane ride from my friends/SO
  • Not crazy about New Haven (great pizza, though)

UCSF

Pros:
  • Love San Francisco
  • Amazing hospitals and clinical training, equally amazing research
  • Diverse patients
  • Really happy students/seemingly collaborative environment
  • Very close to family
  • High chance of matching in CA
  • P/F preclinical grading, collaborative environment

Cons:
  • Looks like my most expensive option (probably like 20-30k a year more than HMS)
  • Extremely high CoL in SF means that I’d never be under budget, always worrying about money
  • SO would be across the country for at least 1 year, may or may not find employment here
  • AOA, but still don’t get a sense of high internal competitiveness

UCLA

Pros:
  • Really like Westwood, love being by the ocean
  • Really solid hospitals and research
  • Close-ish to family (a 7 hour drive, but a much shorter flight)
  • Great odds of matching in CA

Cons:
  • Reputation not quite as strong as my other acceptances (although still excellent)
  • Second highest cost of attendance, even with in-state tuition
  • Not as many job ops for SO, would be across the country for at least a year
  • No friends in the area
  • Heard from students that it can be difficult to find mentors and people to shadow
  • Mixed reviews about student happiness

If you read this far, I can’t thank you enough! This is a really tough decision for me, and I really really appreciate your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Your Cons for HMS are not really cons. You should be able to match anywhere you want with these schools. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will match in any CA residency coming from HMS. You see less matches simply because less students from these schools want to go there, but virtually all the ones that do get in.

The beauty about Harvard is that it's well known in both the medical community and the general public anywhere you are. But, say for a regular citizen they may not have heard of Johns Hopkins, but they've definitely heard of Harvard. Great marketing tool in the future as well no matter where you live in the world!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I would go Harvard or Yale. Given your situation, seems Boston is a better fit and probably worth the extra $. Although I can personally attest to how amazing the Yale system is. We just started clerkships and not having shelf exams is HUGE (didn't even realize this when I was applying). Great options all over though!

And as far as CA matching goes, you will have ZERO trouble coming from H/Y/JHU so I wouldn't even consider that as a factor.

If you have questions about Yale, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 users
HMS without a doubt based on what you said. Boston is an amazing city to live in. You will get matched anywhere, and your SO will probably be very happy there.

HMS would be a great choice for you. While it would be slightly more expensive overall, your SO would have more options and as someone who has been in a relationship for a long time and deciding where to go for post-grad, I know how important that can be.

Academically and professionally, you can't make a wrong choice and you probably know that already.

HMS is the way to go. It is clear from your post that is where you want to go and fit best. You can match in any specialty in any location in the country from there. Congrats and good luck!

HMS curriculum doesn't seem as nice as Yale, I might be a bit biased as I go to Yale, but I don't think anyone would dispute that we have the chillest possible setup.

Reactions: 1 user